Fidonet Portal

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.07.21 12:01
Message new scan with and without /G?
Hello g00r00!

When I compare the menu options "G" (Group) and "A" (All Groups) of the
mnewscan menu ("N" from the message menu), the difference is the /G data to the
(MN) Message new scan function.

According to http://wiki.mysticbbs.com/doku.php?id=menu_commands#message_bases
/G should be required to scan messages in all groups.

But both menu options appear to be scanning all areas in all groups (i.e.
regardless of /G or not). I can see it scanning "everything" (it lists all
areas while scanning).

Is this also so for you?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/23 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (2:201/137)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.07.21 09:56
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
BW> But both menu options appear to be scanning all areas in all groups (i.e.
BW> regardless of /G or not). I can see it scanning "everything" (it lists
BW> all areas while scanning).
BW>
BW> Is this also so for you?

The mnewscan menu works fine for me. I can't really tell you more without
seeing your ACS for your message bases, what group you are in and so on. If
you have a "global" group make sure you are not in it when you are scanning
"current group" because that would obviously scan everything.

... The seminar on time travel will be held two weeks ago

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.07.21 16:33
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
BW> What is a global group? I do have one message area whose List ACS is
BW> "any of the Echomail Groups", but that's about it. =)
BW>
BW> Anyway, I was standing in FSX_ADS and launching the N G scan:
BW>
BW> ? Read ACS ? New Scan ? No

So it looks like in this case you don't have READ access for that base assigned
to any group, which means it will show up in every group when performaing a
read function.

If you want to restict reading the base to only group 2 for example you'd set
Read ACS to "g2". So you'd probably want something like:

List ACS: g2
Read ACS: g2
Post ACS: g2
Sysop ACS: s255g2

This way you can only see, read, post, or perform SysOp stuff on that message
base when you are in group 2. Generally speaking you want to put the group
into all of the access strings as shown above.

Hope that makes sense.

... As I said before, I never repeat myself

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 09:05
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
Hello g00r00!

Thank you for your reply!

On 26 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...
g0> So it looks like in this case you don't have READ access for that base
g0> assigned

Ah -- that must be it, yes! Thanks!

But, speaking of those ACSes, won't...

g0> Read ACS: g2
g0> Post ACS: g2

...make it impossible to read a message during new e-mail scan in the prelogin
menu (or global personal message scan which I have added right after it, to
also catch echomails addressed to the user as part of the mail scanning during
login) unless you are standing in that group?

And/or impossible to (R)eply to such a message unless you are standing in that
group?

And/or impossible to forward a message to another message (B)ase in another
group (which one might want to do sometimes when cross-posting)?

I think I stumbled upon some of these, and that's why I left the Read/Post
ACSes empty...

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 11:43
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
BW> But, speaking of those ACSes, won't...
BW> ...make it impossible to read a message during new e-mail scan in the
BW> prelogin menu (or global personal message scan which I have added right
BW> after it, to also catch echomails addressed to the user as part of the
BW> mail scanning during login) unless you are standing in that group?

No, it won't. Thats what the global options are for - they cause the group to
be ignored temporarily when doing whatever function you've selected the global
option for.

... You can learn many things from children... like how much patience you have

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 20:15
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
Hello g00r00!

Thank you for your reply!

On 27 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...
g0> No, it won't. Thats what the global options are for - they cause the
g0> group to be ignored temporarily when doing whatever function you've
g0> selected the global option for.

Thanks! I'll try re-adding those g entries to the List/Read ACSes then. =)

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 22:05
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
Hello again, g00r00!

BW> Or should I skip using the (MC) function and instead rely on my global
BW> personal scan instead, i.e.:
BW>
BW> Command: (MN) Message new scan
BW> Data: /P /G /NOLR /NOREAD

...however that is not a drop-in replacement, I have noticed.

/P will make it find any new messages from me (e.g. an unread echomail message
from me to you), which isn't what I'm looking for in this case.

And adding /NOFROM to "cure" that causes any messages from myself to myself,
such as new user registration notices, to go unnoticed.

Perhaps it would be an idea to add more alternatives to /P for the "(MN)
Message new scan" function, such as:

/ONLYTO (only show messages addressed *to* the user)
/ONLYFROM (only show messages *from* the user)
/NOTO (exclude any messages addressed *to* the user)

Of course /ONLYTO and /ONLYFROM would be mutually exclusive; same thing for
/NOFROM and /NOTO. If one combines those you simply get no results.

Just a thought. Smile

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 22:23
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
Hello g00r00!

I hope I'm not confusing you too much. Smile

I just wanted to say that it appears that:

(MQ) Message quick scan
/NOFOOT /NEW /YOU /LIST /NOREAD

...appears to list only messages *to* me, i.e. /YOU appears to mean only "to
me" (contrary to how I interpret the description of /YOU on
http://wiki.mysticbbs.com/doku.php?id=menu_commands#message_basesWink, whereas:

(MN) Message new scan
/P /G /NOLR /NOREAD

...appears to list messages both from me *and* to me (just as /P on
http://wiki.mysticbbs.com/doku.php?id=menu_commands#message_bases says it
should).

Not sure if this is intended to be so?

Just wanted to point it out while experimenting before I forget. Smile

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.07.21 18:36
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
BW> I have now added the group requirement to all my message areas,
BW> including the local ones. For my Private Messages local area, I have:

Okay so let me recap:

The first thing you mentioned was bases showing up in a group scan. That was
happening because you didn't have your message base in a group, so it shows up
in all groups.

Next I believe you mentioned wanting to do a global scan of personal messages.
There is a personalscan menu that comes with the default installation that does
a global scan of message bases for new personal unread messages. The
personalscan sounds exactly what you want! Give that a look and let me know if
there is something you want to change and I can walk you through it.

In this message it looks like you're showing the e-mail base settings and you
are trying to change e-mail access? You'd almost never want to change the
e-mail access or settings (outside of visual stuff). The e-mail system is not
a message base.

BW> Is there some way to make this work, allowing it to display new e-mails
BW> regardless of the current area?

It already does that as e-mail has nothing to do with the current message area
or group. Email is not a message base, it is its own separate thing. The reason
its not working now is because you changed the access to e-mail to require
group 2 so e-mail will never work unless they're in group 2.

I'm not very clear on what exactly you're trying to do with the e-mail
base/access but once I understand everything I can walk you through how to do
it.

... Youth is glorious, but it isn't a career
* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 01:03
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
BW> If there were an MN option to exclude messages that are *not* to me,
BW> i.e. to narrow /P to messages that *are* to me, the global personal scan
BW> would function just as I would expect it to. So it's very close. =)

It sounds to me like you may want:

Command: MN (Message New Scan)
Data: /P /G /NOFROM /NOLR /NOREAD

This will do a newscan of personal messages (/P) in all groups (/G) so only
messages from or to YOU. But then it will exclude messages FROM you (/NOFROM),
exclude messages you've already read once before (/NOREAD), and then it will
not update your last read pointers afterwards (/NOLR).

BW> What would the recommended ACS fields be for a local private area (local
BW> "PMs" between users), and a local non-private area (local "conference"),
BW> respectively?

I think it looks pretty good now but you'd probably want to remove the "g1"
from SysOp ACS because it means you'll only be able to edit, delete (etc)
e-mails if you are in group 1 (which I am guessing you don't want considering
you can read from any group).

You're on the right track now though. Private Messages will show up as a
message base when users are in group 1 and do an area list. Users who do not
have flag A cannot send e-mail at all. Anyone can read at all times which
means MC menu command will work in any situation.

... Just another prisoner of gravity!

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 10:56
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
Hello g00r00!

Thank you for your reply!

On 27 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...
g0> It sounds to me like you may want:
g0> Command: MN (Message New Scan)
g0> Data: /P /G /NOFROM /NOLR /NOREAD

Thanks, I'm adding /NOFROM to my flags now!

Although "not from me" (/NOFROM) is not the same as "only to me" (a suggested
/ONLYTO) -- as /NOFROM would miss any messages from myself to myself, e.g. test
messages to myself in an echomail area -- it'll have to do for now.

And if you would happen to implement an /ONLYTO flag in the future, please let
me know and I'll happily try it out. Smile

g0> BW> What would the recommended ACS fields be for a local private area (lo
g0> BW> "PMs" between users), and a local non-private area (local "conference
g0> BW> respectively?
g0>
g0> I think it looks pretty good now but you'd probably want to remove the
g0> "g1" from SysOp ACS because it means you'll only be able to edit, delete
g0> (etc) e-mails if you are in group 1 (which I am guessing you don't want
g0> considering you can read from any group).

Thanks! I'll adjust the Sysop ACS for the local message areas.

Again, thank you for your help -- it is much appreciated! Trying to get most
things "right" here. Smile

I spent yesterday editing prompts etc., and am now thinking of perhaps using
theme colors for menu buttons and prompts in my theme... we'll see. Smile

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Wed, 28.07.21 10:59
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
BW> Thanks, I'm adding /NOFROM to my flags now!
BW>
BW> Although "not from me" (/NOFROM) is not the same as "only to me" (a
BW> suggested /ONLYTO) -- as /NOFROM would miss any messages from myself to
BW> myself, e.g. test messages to myself in an echomail area -- it'll have
BW> to do for now.

I see what you're saying. You get a choice of "From and To" and "To not from"
but no option for just a "To" check.

I have just added in a /YOU option to both the MN and MR commands to better go
along with the quick scan /YOU so hopefully that will work better for you. I
am working on compiling that build right now so you should be able to download
it by the time you see this. If you test it please let me know if it works for
you.

BW> Again, thank you for your help -- it is much appreciated! Trying to get
BW> most things "right" here. Smile

No problem! You're welcome.

BW> I spent yesterday editing prompts etc., and am now thinking of perhaps
BW> using theme colors for menu buttons and prompts in my theme... we'll
BW> see. Smile

I very under utilized feature! Smile

... 640K ought to be enough for anybody. -Bill Gates, 1981.

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: g00r00 (1:129/215)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.07.21 01:40
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
BW> Although when I changed the last read date for the MYSTIC echomail area
BW> to two days back and performed the global personal scan, MQ (/NOSCAN
BW> /NOFOOT /NEW /YOU /LIST /NOREAD) acted up and didn't find anything for
BW> some reason. Checked the message list (Read, Forward, scroll to end) and
BW> the messages (some of them from you, to me) were correctly flagged as
BW> "N" (new), and still MQ didn't find them. Changing the LR date worked

When you reset your last scan date it does not reset the flag on each
individual message that determines if you read it before
or not. The /noread option tells Mystic to ignore messages that have been
presented to you once before regardless of what your last read pointer says.

In other words Mystic tracks (for each message) whether or not the "To" user
has seen the message or not. If you have seen it, Mystic will not show it to
you again if /noread is used and your lastread pointer doesn't matter in that
case. If you want it to *only* key off of the last read pointers then you
should remove the /noread option.

Its easy to get lost in all of the options Mystic has for ways to scan. In the
long run its a good thing because the scanning in Mystic is super flexible, but
it can take a bit to sort through it all. Even I have thought the newscan was
bugged and it turned out to be because of /noread in the past (and I created
this mess)!

That said if you feel its not because of /noread let me know because of course
there could always be a bug.

BW> Anyway, I posted two test messages in FSX_TST to myself (both to my
BW> alias and real name) and that worked just fine; they appeared in both MQ
BW> and MN as they should.

Great! Thank you for testing it and following up!

BW> P.S. The comment in whatsnew.txt suggests that it is /G (the global scan
BW> option) that is affected by /YOU, but it really is /P (the personal scan
BW> option) that is affected, right? D.S.

I think technically it will be both, but you're right it should probably have
said personal scan. I'll update that.

I haven't really tested all of the scenarios but technically /YOU should work
in combination with different modes for MN and MR. I'll need to sort out where
it can and can't be used and document it, but feel free to experiment if you
want to! For now just assume its only guarenteed to work in the /P scan!

... Honk if you love peace and quiet!

* Origin: Sector 7 * Mystic WHQ (1:129/215)

From: Bjrn Wiberg (2:201/137)
To: All
Date: Thu, 29.07.21 09:43
Re: Message new scan with and without /G?
Hello g00r00!

Thank you for your reply!

On 28 Jul 2021, g00r00 said the following...
g0> When you reset your last scan date it does not reset the flag on each
g0> individual message that determines if you read it before
g0> or not. The /noread option tells Mystic to ignore messages that have
g0> been presented to you once before regardless of what your last read
g0> pointer says.

Ah, thanks -- I vaguely remember noting in the past that "new" and "read" is
not the same thing, and you confirmed this. Smile

By the way, is there a way to un-read a message by editing it?

g0> Its easy to get lost in all of the options Mystic has for ways to scan.
g0> In the long run its a good thing because the scanning in Mystic is super
g0> flexible, but it can take a bit to sort through it all. Even I have

I think it's all working perfectly fine now. Smile

My prelogin now consists of an e-mail scan -- to ensure that new, unread
e-mails will always be found regardless of users' message scan settings (even
though I *do* have set Private Messages to New Scan: Forced and QWK Scan:
Forced, because I think that area should always be scanned) -- and a global
personal scan.

g0> to experiment if you want to! For now just assume its only guarenteed
g0> to work in the /P scan!

Yep!

Many thanks!

Best regards

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/07/28 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Star Collision BBS, Uppsala, Sweden (2:201/137)