Fidonet Portal

From: Maurice Kinal (1:261/38.9)
To: All
Date: Thu, 26.04.12 21:01
i got got got got no time
Hey Rob!

RS> I'm not really sure what specifier set you're referring to with %F
RS> and %T.

Sorry about my previous reply to this and hopefully this is a much better
answer. On a glibc based system the function that supplies the specifiers for
date and time is called strftime(Wink and is readily available via the
/usr/include/time.h. I have run across MS references to simular usuage of
specifiers although I cannot confirm they are indeed identical. I don't do
Windows. ;-)

I cannot say when this function first appeared on the scene but it seems like
since forever from my perspective. Day to day usage is readily available via
the commandline or shell script(s) thanks to coreutils' 'date' command and it
offers a few extras that the strftime(Wink funtion alone doesn't provide. Having
said this the common ones are exactly the same since coreutils' 'date' command
inherits the strftime(Wink function by default on a glibc based system. The
extras are bonus.

Also I have run across this same functionality in other applications. I have
heard rumours that it is readily available to users of python and from what
I've heard it seems to mirror coreutils' 'date' command. I am sure there are
many, many, many more examples of real world deployment of the strftime(Wink
funtion.

Is this a better answer?

Life is good,
Maurice

... A Møøse once bit my sister ...
--- GNU bash, version 4.2.24(3)-release (x86_64-core2-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Pointy Stick Society (1:261/38.9)