Date: Thu, 19.04.12 19:46
this might interest you
I noticed a couple errors in the msg_body (fifth field) that I corrected using
a text editor which is allowed since I have rw access. The edits change
nothing with respect to the format but instead to the text in the message body
itself. Nothing else was altered including the date. It now displays better
with fold since I got rid of a leading space in the Russian version of "I've
got squirrels in my pants" as well as added "I've got squirrels in my pants" to
that paragraph in order to make the four languages claim accurate.
What this indicates is that it is entirely possible for the owner of a message
to make edits to a message after it has been posted which may or may not be a
desirable feature. It is doable though.
Also I can readily see how a cgi script could html-ize the output without
requiring any alterations to the packed message format not unlike the strategy
employed by 'tr' and 'sed' in the current russian.ftn.utf8 shell script. I
don't have a web server running here to test that but I know it wouldn't take
much to output that identical message to an html format for display to a web
browser even without a web server locally.
For the record I only saw one remote actually run the script and it was before
I made the edit to sample.utf8.msg. It would be interesting to find out if
'fold' did the right thing at their end. Anyhow it is much better now at this
end and I have an i18n patched 'fold' that counts characters correctly, both
byte and multibyte sized.
I think it is a keeper.
Life is good,
--- GNU bash, version 4.2.24(3)-release (x86_64-core2-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Pointy Stick Society (1:261/38.9)