Fidonet Portal

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.07.21 23:09
MX Linux
Anybody used this MX Linux distro for much of anything?

Been toying around with a few distros lately and this one has caught my
eye. It's another Debian-based with ties to AntiX and Mepis. Seems
pretty well done compared to others I've seen, and the real bonus is
that it doesn't use 'systemd'.

So just wondering if anyone has used it for a while, and what you may
think of it... Thanks for input.

... Sometimes you get the elevator, and sometimes you get the shaft.
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.14-Linux
* Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.07.21 09:47
Re: MX Linux
-=> Richard Falken wrote to Dan Clough <=-

> Anybody used this MX Linux distro for much of anything?
>
> Been toying around with a few distros lately and this one has caught my
> eye. It's another Debian-based with ties to AntiX and Mepis. Seems
> pretty well done compared to others I've seen, and the real bonus is
> that it doesn't use 'systemd'.
>
> So just wondering if anyone has used it for a while, and what you may
> think of it... Thanks for input.

RF> I have some MX Linux DVDs that came with Linux Magazine and have
RF> used them as last resort / emergency installs for workstations at
RF> work.

RF> I think it ships with systemd by default, though. I think it is
RF> just not enabled.

I does ship/install with systemd, but as you said it is not enabled by
default, and is not running. Close enough for me.

RF> MX Linux is good for eye candy but I personally don't think it
RF> makes sense to install it if you have a Devuan DVD available. I
RF> think you don't gain much by moving from Debian/Devuan to MX
RF> Linux but you are placing yourself further downstream which is
RF> always problematic.

I have been a little less than impressed with Devuan. Not sure it's
completely "finished" just yet. I'm not even normally a Debian user,
although I do like many things about it. As far as moving downstream...
using that logic we should all be using Slackware. ;-) (which I am).

RF> So well, it works more often than not, but it does not bring
RF> anything new to the table. You can do much worse than installing
RF> MX Linux, certainly.

Agreed. As I continue to get tired of waiting for Slackware to catch
up, I am just pondering some possible replacement options. In reality I
will probably never move off of Slack, but I like to think that I
could... ;-)

... Everybody should believe in something: I believe I'll have another drink.

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.07.21 09:50
Re: MX Linux
-=> Gerrit Kuehn wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> So just wondering if anyone has used it for a while, and what you may
DC> think of it... Thanks for input.

GK> I've installed it on a test system as it looks like a promising
GK> candidate for workstations. Didn't have much time to really test
GK> it so far, though.

Yes, I agree that it has real potential. I like some of the custom
"tools" / tweaks that they package with it.

GK> Anyone having a URL where I could download
GK> some spare time (preferrably well compressed ;-)?

Now *THAT* is something we could all use. I'll keep looking.

... What was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread?

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.07.21 19:21
Re: MX Linux
Hello Dan!

23 Jul 21 07:50, Dan Clough wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

GK>> I've installed it on a test system as it looks like a promising
GK>> candidate for workstations. Didn't have much time to really test
GK>> it so far, though.

DC> Yes, I agree that it has real potential. I like some of the custom
DC> "tools" / tweaks that they package with it.

You just got me to install it on another notebook to toy with it more. I have a
couple of machines still running Sabayon (which has finally been discontinued
two days ago - so I guess I need some kind of follow-up system rather sooner
than later).

Regards,
Gerrit

... 5:21PM up 1 day, 10:12, 7 users, load averages: 0.15, 0.08, 0.07

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: America asleep, since Mulberry's too long (2:240/12)

From: Richard Falken (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.07.21 21:48
Re: MX Linux
Re: Re: MX Linux
By: Dan Clough to Richard Falken on Fri Jul 23 2021 07:47 am

> I have been a little less than impressed with Devuan. Not sure it's
> completely "finished" just yet. I'm not even normally a Debian user,
> although I do like many things about it. As far as moving downstream...
> using that logic we should all be using Slackware. ;-) (which I am).

I think there are places in which using a derivative provides reasonablñe
advantage. I am not saying never to use a derivative, I am saying that in this
case I see not great benefit in it. Different thing.

I am not impressed by the whole Debian ecosystem myself Smile Devuan seems to be
quite ok nowadays but I am certainly not using it in deep.

My policy regarding Slackware's slow release cycle is: keep everything in the
most recent stable release; when not possible, use a BSD; when not possible,
use Devuan.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.07.21 23:07
Re: MX Linux
-=> Gerrit Kuehn wrote to Dan Clough <=-

GK>> I've installed it on a test system as it looks like a promising
GK>> candidate for workstations. Didn't have much time to really test
GK>> it so far, though.

DC> Yes, I agree that it has real potential. I like some of the custom
DC> "tools" / tweaks that they package with it.

GK> You just got me to install it on another notebook to toy with it
GK> more. I have a couple of machines still running Sabayon (which
GK> has finally been discontinued two days ago - so I guess I need
GK> some kind of follow-up system rather sooner than later).

Cool, let me know what you think of it after using it a bit. Thanks.

... Bug free, cheap, on time, works. Pick two.

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 10:07
Re: MX Linux
Hello Dan!

23 Jul 21 21:07, Dan Clough wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

DC> Cool, let me know what you think of it after using it a bit. Thanks.

I did some config stuff yesterday, mainly installing packages, creating users,
setting up desktop etc. Everything went quite well so far. The repository
management allows to use standard Debian packages as well as MX-provided things
and flatpaks. I didn't really use the latter before, but it had stuff like
discord and zoom available, so I didn't have to download and install these
manually.
Maybe I'll hand over the system to my family and ask them all to check if they
think this will be a good follow-up distro for our familiy's computers.

Regards,
Gerrit

... 8:38AM up 2 days, 1:29, 7 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.07, 0.07

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: And the pastiche we've invented (2:240/12)

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 12:37
Re: MX Linux
* Originally by: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12), 24 Jul 21 08:38.

Hello Dan!

24 Jul 21 08:38, Gerrit Kuehn wrote to Dan Clough:

GK> The repository management allows to use standard Debian packages
GK> as well as MX-provided things and flatpaks. I didn't really use the
GK> latter before, but it had stuff like discord and zoom available, so I
GK> didn't have to download and install these manually.

As a follow-up: We have several HP printers here, so installing hplip is the
way to go. We have one old MFP among these that requires the additional hplip
binary plugin to allow scanning over network (which is a very nice feature we
rely on heavily). This plugin didn't install properly, but that's probably more
HP's fault (hp-setup needs to install it). Actually, I have never been able to
get it installed without any manual interaction on any system I tried (be it
FreeBSD, Gentoo, Sabayon, MX or whatever). On the bright side, the "usual"
tricks worked here, too, so I could just use the commandline to get everything
going. Now I have both xsane and HP's simple scanner tool using the MFP scanner
over the network.

Regards,
Gerrit

... 11:09AM up 2 days, 4 hrs, 7 users, load averages: 0.27, 0.13, 0.09

From: Brian Rogers (1:142/103)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 10:13
Re: MX Linux
-=> Dan Clough wrote to Gerrit Kuehn <=-

DC> Cool, let me know what you think of it after using it a bit. Thanks.

Is that a port of Devuan? I've been using Devuan with TrinityDesktop now for
a few years and have had good luck with it. The only downfall is upgrading it.
Devuan itself is fine but Trinity often will choke. I have to restore my
live backup on a test machine, upgrade it there, then restore that machine
to my live machine. Not so efficient but effective.

... I was reading this book today, The History of Glue. I couldn't put it down.
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.52
* Origin: SBBS - Carnage! Hartford, Ct (1:142/103)

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 17:01
Re: MX Linux
[...]

... 4:28PM up 2 days, 9:19, 7 users, load averages: 0.09, 0.09, 0.08

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: Things I already know (2:240/12)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 11:38
Re: MX Linux
-=> Gerrit Kuehn wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> Cool, let me know what you think of it after using it a bit. Thanks.

GK> I did some config stuff yesterday, mainly installing packages,
GK> creating users, setting up desktop etc. Everything went quite
GK> well so far. The repository management allows to use standard
GK> Debian packages as well as MX-provided things and flatpaks. I
GK> didn't really use the latter before, but it had stuff like
GK> discord and zoom available, so I didn't have to download and
GK> install these manually. Maybe I'll hand over the system to my
GK> family and ask them all to check if they think this will be a
GK> good follow-up distro for our familiy's computers.

Very nice, that all sounds quite promising. Thanks.

... Gone crazy, be back later, please leave message.

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 11:40
Re: MX Linux
-=> Gerrit Kuehn wrote to Dan Clough <=-

GK> The repository management allows to use standard Debian packages
GK> as well as MX-provided things and flatpaks. I didn't really use the
GK> latter before, but it had stuff like discord and zoom available, so I
GK> didn't have to download and install these manually.

GK> As a follow-up: We have several HP printers here, so installing
GK> hplip is the way to go. We have one old MFP among these that
GK> requires the additional hplip binary plugin to allow scanning
GK> over network (which is a very nice feature we rely on heavily).
GK> This plugin didn't install properly, but that's probably more
GK> HP's fault (hp-setup needs to install it). Actually, I have never
GK> been able to get it installed without any manual interaction on
GK> any system I tried (be it FreeBSD, Gentoo, Sabayon, MX or
GK> whatever). On the bright side, the "usual" tricks worked here,
GK> too, so I could just use the commandline to get everything going.
GK> Now I have both xsane and HP's simple scanner tool using the MFP
GK> scanner over the network.

Sweet. I also use an HP MFP over the network for scanning, but just do
it through the printer's "webscan" function via a browser. Works fine
for the simple scanning I do occasionally.

Sounds like another "+" in the MX column. ;-)

... Computer Hacker wanted. Must have own axe.

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 11:44
Re: MX Linux
-=> Brian Rogers wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> Cool, let me know what you think of it after using it a bit. Thanks.

BR> Is that a port of Devuan? I've been using Devuan with
BR> TrinityDesktop now for a few years and have had good luck with
BR> it. The only downfall is upgrading it. Devuan itself is fine but
BR> Trinity often will choke. I have to restore my live backup on a
BR> test machine, upgrade it there, then restore that machine to my
BR> live machine. Not so efficient but effective.

No, it's based on Debian, but not Devuan related. Affiliated with Antix
and Mepis also. It seems like a pretty solid distro to me, and has been
#1 on the Distrowatch "popularity list" (which is somewhat meaningless)
for quite a while now.

More info here: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mx

... A day without sunshine is like night.

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 18:16
Re: MX Linux
Hello Dan!

24 Jul 21 09:40, Dan Clough wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

DC> Sweet. I also use an HP MFP over the network for scanning, but just
DC> do
DC> it through the printer's "webscan" function via a browser. Works
DC> fine
DC> for the simple scanning I do occasionally.

Yes, mine is old (an CM2320FXI), it doesn't support scanning via the webui.
Oh, and just in case I forgot to tell: we're XFCE users, so that's the version
I'm talking about here (not KDE, fluxbox or what else they may offer).

DC> Sounds like another "+" in the MX column. ;-)

For our use case, definitely yes. I'll ask the others what they think and need.
My wife is a teacher and needs to be able to run some strange software for
school. Discord will definitely make our son happy, but he also has a couple of
other things the uses regularly. My parents and our daughter are usually fine
when they can use scanner and printer, do email, webbrowsing and the occasional
text document or spreadsheet.

Regards,
Gerrit

... 5:13PM up 2 days, 10:04, 7 users, load averages: 0.11, 0.11, 0.08

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: Is serving every man (2:240/12)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 20:06
Re: MX Linux
-=> Gerrit Kuehn wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> Sweet. I also use an HP MFP over the network for scanning, but just
DC> do it through the printer's "webscan" function via a browser. Works
DC> fine for the simple scanning I do occasionally.

GK> Yes, mine is old (an CM2320FXI), it doesn't support scanning via
GK> the webui. Oh, and just in case I forgot to tell: we're XFCE
GK> users, so that's the version I'm talking about here (not KDE,
GK> fluxbox or what else they may offer).

Ahhh, OK. Yes, I also use XFCE and dislike anything else after all
these years.

DC> Sounds like another "+" in the MX column. ;-)

GK> For our use case, definitely yes. I'll ask the others what they
GK> think and need. My wife is a teacher and needs to be able to run
GK> some strange software for school. Discord will definitely make
GK> our son happy, but he also has a couple of other things the uses
GK> regularly. My parents and our daughter are usually fine when they
GK> can use scanner and printer, do email, webbrowsing and the
GK> occasional text document or spreadsheet.

Excellent. It is an excellent distro from what I've seen, and what
you're seeing. I'm a longtime Slackware user, and honestly can't see
myself switching away from it, but lately I've gotten a little fed up
with how it's going, and this distro (MX) is the only one I've found
that makes me even wonder if it's a possible replacement. I use it on a
test/play laptop that I sometimes use while watching TV or something,
and am enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks for your feedback!

... Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

From: Brian Rogers (1:142/103)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 22:31
Re: MX Linux
Hello Dan;

-=> Dan Clough wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

DC> No, it's based on Debian, but not Devuan related. Affiliated with
DC> Antix and Mepis also. It seems like a pretty solid distro to me, and
DC> has been #1 on the Distrowatch "popularity list" (which is somewhat
DC> meaningless) for quite a while now.

DC> More info here: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mx

Cool, perhaps I'll give it a look. As a partner developer with Debian I'm
interested in the various forks. I prefer Devuan as I'm not in favor of
systemd.

... Old horticulturists never die, they just go to pot.

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 23:36
Re: MX Linux
-=> Brian Rogers wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> No, it's based on Debian, but not Devuan related. Affiliated with
DC> Antix and Mepis also. It seems like a pretty solid distro to me, and
DC> has been #1 on the Distrowatch "popularity list" (which is somewhat
DC> meaningless) for quite a while now.

DC> More info here: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mx

BR> Cool, perhaps I'll give it a look. As a partner developer with
BR> Debian I'm interested in the various forks. I prefer Devuan as
BR> I'm not in favor of systemd.

I think it's worth a look. Not sure if you saw earlier in the thread, I
mentioned that MX doesn't use systemd by default. It's included, but
not enabled. That's getting to be a rare thing now, and matters to me,
as well. If you do check it out, your feedback would be appreciated!

... Press any key to continue or any other key to quit

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Sun, 25.07.21 09:38
Re: MX Linux
Hello Dan!

24 Jul 21 18:06, Dan Clough wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

DC> Excellent. It is an excellent distro from what I've seen, and what
DC> you're seeing. I'm a longtime Slackware user, and honestly can't see
DC> myself switching away from it, but lately I've gotten a little fed up
DC> with how it's going, and this distro (MX) is the only one I've found
DC> that makes me even wonder if it's a possible replacement.

Some of the first Linux systems I've used (just as a user, not as an admin) in
the 1990ies were Slackware, too. A former colleague was a big fan of it back
then. Other systems were running SUSE, Debian, Redhat, Caldera...
At some point they all drove me half-mad when it came to updates or when I
wanted a specific version of some software. I switched to FreeBSD somewhen in
the late 1990ies for many use cases (and stayed there till today). After doing
that, I discovered Gentoo Linux soon after it came out, and since then I'm
using it when I need Linux for some specific reason.
But I never got around to put up enough infrastructure to be able to run Gentoo
on workstations properly (have my own binary package server and things like
that), so I went for Sabayon there when it was available (mainly for having the
convenience of an installer, binary package updates etc). Allowed me to build
on much of the Gentoo stuff I already had.

Now that period appears to be over after another 15 years or so as Sabayon is
going offline, and their follow-up product is not ready yet (I guess I should
still give it a try, though).
So I've been installing stock Debian on a couple of systems over the last
months to see how it works as a replacement, but I'm still at odds with it. It
often feels like it goes long ways to keep me from having simple solutions for
simple problems, but well...
Anyway, as a workstation OS, MX looks like it could solve most of the issues I
usually have with Debian-based systems (and yes, not having to use systemd is
definitely another plus).

Regards,
Gerrit

... 8:00AM up 3 days, 51 mins, 7 users, load averages: 0.11, 0.13, 0.09

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: Ideas of lust and dying (2:240/12)

From: Brian Rogers (1:142/103)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.07.21 21:34
Re: MX Linux
Hello Dan;

-=> Dan Clough wrote to Brian Rogers <=-

DC> I think it's worth a look. Not sure if you saw earlier in the thread,
DC> I mentioned that MX doesn't use systemd by default. It's included, but
DC> not enabled. That's getting to be a rare thing now, and matters to me,
DC> as well. If you do check it out, your feedback would be appreciated!

Yes I saw that. Devuan has the systemd libs available but is sysvinit.
That with TrinityDesktop (kde3 rewritten) is a decent system to use imho.

... VALUABLE STORE COUPON HAS BEEN REMOVED!

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.07.21 23:28
Re: MX Linux
-=> Benny Pedersen wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> the real bonus is
DC> that it doesn't use 'systemd'.

BP> so now you are ready to use gentoo ?

I have used gentoo a little, long ago. That's got nothing to do with
the topic at hand (systemd), though. Not sure why/how you arrived at
such a conclusion.

BP> if i really need precompiled things i would precompile it self Smile

Again, that "sentence" doesn't really make any sense, sorry.