Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (1:396/45.29)
To: All
Date: Sun, 18.07.21 23:37
luckymobile +2GB extra deal
Hello any Canadians that are lurking!

This is just a heads up on a limited-time offer by
Luckymobile.ca

Get a cheap phone plan and enjoy 2 GB/mo of bonus data for 6
months with select plans.[1]

Offer ends July 21, 2021.[2]

SIM cars also available at select retailers: Dollarama and Giant Tiger[3]

[1] Limited time offer. One-time $10 SIM Card charge applies.
Up to 12 GB of bonus data with a new activation on a minimum
$35/mo. plan, applied as a 2GB/mo. bonus for 6 months.

[2] SIM card must be activated by August 18, 2021 to redeem your offer.

[3] Now available at Dollarama or Giant Tiger - visit a
Dollarama store or a Giant Tiger store to learn more.

Luckymobile.ca is the self-service/discount subsidiary of
BellMobility.

I'm currently on the $40/mo plan which provides up to 5GB of
data (as well as unlimited Canada-wide talk and unlimited
international texts.Wink

With this offer, they seem to have provided existing users with
the extra 2GB/mo bonus anyway!

Except for one time when the new billing period started and my
automatic credit card payment didn't register on their system
(which then blocked me from the data service), and another time
when the throttling down to sub 100kbps speed was useless for
most online browsing, I'm fairly happy with Luckymobile.

The throttled-down speeds didn't seem to affect telnetting into
BBSes or accessing FTN networks or reading NNTP-based networks.

--- OpenXP 5.0.50
* Origin: (1:396/45.29)

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.07.21 11:44
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to All <=-

AA> With this offer, they seem to have provided existing users with
AA> the extra 2GB/mo bonus anyway!

Nice!

AA> when the throttling down to sub 100kbps speed was useless for
AA> most online browsing, I'm fairly happy with Luckymobile.

I've been with public mobile for a few years now. (Self serve
telus thing) Never had an issue $35 a month 5.5gb of data plus
a bonus gig. Can't see myself leaving anytime soon. ;)

Granted it's 3g speed, but that's fine for me. Streaming works
fine, browsing etc etc. Only time you notice the speed is if you
let the phone update an app over mobile.

Shawn

... Cats are roommates; Dogs are kids!
--- EzyBlueWave V3.00 01FB001F
* Origin: Tiny's BBS - telnet://tinysbbs.com:3023 (1:229/452)

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Tue, 20.07.21 13:09
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> $35/5.5GB is darn good. That's a bit better than the core
AA> Luckmobile offer at $40. But do you get unlimited Canada-wide
AA> talk and unlimited INTERNATIONAL texting?

Unlimited Canada-wide calling for sure. As for texting... I just
checked my plan and yes I do have international texting! I didn't
know that.

Shawn

... Advertising is legalized lying.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Wed, 21.07.21 10:09
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> And.. I really don't have any international pals that I could
AA> text to their phones anyway.

I have one friend in WA that I could text. In fact I'll do so today.
LOL

AA> number to their phones). I *could* text to all of them or just
AA> use my cellphone to call and therefore have all those call
AA> "free". BUT, I don't want people to think that they can call
AA> me back on that darn device to ask questions or place orders!

Another friend of mine ported his business # to his cellphone when
they first offered the service. He hasn't had a landline in at least
14 years now. Probably cheaper to have a second cellphone with your
business # on it anyway.

Shawn

... WWhhaatt ddooeess dduupplleexx mmeeaann??

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Wed, 21.07.21 14:30
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
Hi August,

On 2021-07-21 07:09:00, you wrote to Shawn Highfield:

AA> If I just had the phone for biz, I don't know how I would be
AA> able to take notes for the books that people might want -
AA> especially when I *not* around a computer. It seems that I
AA> would have to record every message and play it back or
AA> something.

What about in-earbuds? Or some other kind of headset?

Bye, Wilfred.
--- FMail-lnx64 2.1.0.18-B20170815
* Origin: FMail development HQ (2:280/464)

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.07.21 10:08
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> And.. I don't really like the feeling of constantly being
AA> available "for business" - especially when I would rather have
AA> peace and quiet.

Leave the second phone at the office? But I get it, just thinking
of saving you money and LD charges.

I'll even give you an old blackberry Q5 for the office phone if
you want it.

Shawn

... Save gas: Commute by modem.

From: August Abolins (2:460/256)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.07.21 17:42
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
Hi Shawn,
...Greets from my Telegram app!

SH> -=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-
SH>
AA>> And.. I don't really like the feeling of constantly being
AA>> available "for business" - especially when I would rather have
AA>> peace and quiet.
SH>
SH> Leave the second phone at the office? But I get it, just thinking
SH> of saving you money and LD charges.
SH>
SH> I'll even give you an old blackberry Q5 for the office phone if
SH> you want it.
SH>
SH> Shawn
SH>
SH> ... Save gas: Commute by modem.

Is your Q5 this one:

https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_q5-5452.php

It's no slouch. Apparently it was released the same year/time as the Q10.

It ought to handle the LTE version that my Luckymobile offers.

Or.. I could move the existing shop number to Bellmobility. They've been
sending me SIMs in the mail trying to coerce me to move my POTS numbers to
mobile.

I could use the Q5 as a permanent installation at the shop, plugged in via usb
to be always charged (I can't do that with my Q10 'cuz the USB port is
physically broken), and use it with a BT earpiece all day.

BUT... then I realize that I may need to keep the POTS line at the shop. My
POS (point-of-sale) uses that as a backup when the internet goes down (when the
hydro goes out after the UPS juice is all used up).

Decisions, decisions.

I continue to be pissed off at Bell for their antiquated attitude that a biz
*can* afford their $80+ minimum just to have a POTS voice line at a retail
address, and whether it's used the line or not. I don't think I've experienced
any extra quality of service compared to the POS that I continue to use at
home.

But.. I could sorta stick it to them by converting the POTS to a dry-loop (I
think that's free now - it used to be $10/mo), and just use cell for biz.

Again, I muse.. decisions, decisions.

Ciao!
/|ug (https://t.me/aabolinsWink

... Searchable Help for OXP https://openxp.kolico.ca
--- Want fido for iOS/MacOS/Android/Win/Linux? Info=https://shrtco.de/tpJ9yV
* Origin: Fido by Telegram BBS from Stas Mishchenkov (2:460/256)

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Fri, 23.07.21 10:06
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> Is your Q5 this one:
AA> https://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_q5-5452.php

Yes except mine is black.

AA> It's no slouch. Apparently it was released the same year/time as the
AA> Q10.

It was the cheaper model. It worked great, both Andrea and I used it
before we had to move on to newer phones. She went with a new blackberry
andriod model, and I went iphone.

AA> It ought to handle the LTE version that my Luckymobile offers.

No reason it won't.

AA> Decisions, decisions.

Let me know.

AA> But.. I could sorta stick it to them by converting the POTS to a
AA> dry-loop (I think that's free now - it used to be $10/mo), and just
AA> use cell for biz.

That's why my friend went all cell. He couldn't stand the idea of paying
that much more for a POTS line that had less features then his home phone.

Shawn

... Competence always contains the seeds of incompetence.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.07.21 11:59
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> Your offer sounds sweet. Maybe if I have that Q5 in front of me
AA> it will remind me how stupid I am to continue with $80/mo with
AA> a biz-rated POTS line. At this point, $80/mo x 12 sounds like
AA> a foolish payout, indeed.

Done. If we don't plan a road trip to Bancroft by mid August, I'll
ship it to your store. We are still wanting to get that way but the
plan I had fell through when the campground we love sold. The new
owners don't allow day use of their beach. Sad

Shawn

... Ignorance is bliss... So life's great if you are ignorant.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Sun, 25.07.21 11:53
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> Very kind of you! Thx.

No problem. It was my backup, but I have a backup iphone now
so no point in leaving it on a shelf if you can use it.

AA> If you make it, you will be the amongst some other fine
AA> celebrities that have walked through the doors: Ed Robertson
AA> (of the Bare Naked Ladies), and Lloyd Robertson (CTV news
AA> anchor), ...and a handful of author celebs that have escaped my
AA> mind at this time.

LLoyd Roertson was the last news anchor I liked. When he retired I
stopped watching the news. When I shared retail space with a
recording studio for a while, I met quite a few musicians. Couldn't
tell you any names now as no one made a big impression on me. ;)

Shawn

... I'd love to help you out. Which way did you come in?

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Fri, 30.07.21 10:06
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> I just received this dreaded and very disappointing news from
AA> LuckyMobile:
AA> https://kolico.ca/tmp/lucky0-jan4-2022.jpg

Isn't that for the older BB's? I was under the impression the
OS 10 models didn't use the BB services the way the old ones did?
ie: They don't go through the BB server for phone email's I know
that for a fact.

Shawn

... A husband is a man who gave up privileges he never knew he had.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Sat, 31.07.21 11:45
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> Perhaps this is just an obfuscated way of saying that only the
AA> BB network of services will cease, but not the phone using the
AA> Lucky network?

There is no reason for the phone to stop working. The older java
based blackberry's yes 100% will stop as they did everything through
a special blackberry server. THe OS10 phones are standard, I'm sure
all it means is the app store, bbm, etc will cease.

AA> But it seems to me that Lucky can simply disable my account
AA> since they know that the IMEI pertains to a BB device if they
AA> want to. That is a bit diconcerting.

I'd play it by ear. I don't think they would bother. Doesn't
make any sense.

Shawn

... Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Mon, 02.08.21 13:36
Re: luckymobile +2GB extra deal
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> I would agree that the BB network and any of its services would
AA> be irrelevant and no grounds to "disable" the use of the phone
AA> with Luckymobile entirely. The BB app shop stopped working a
AA> long time ago (it was nice when it *did* work though).

We still have a playbook tablet that we use for a few offline
games at the trailer. Missed a few downloads before they shut
that store off.

AA> I've grown rather fond of the Q10 now. If I can add your Q5 as
AA> my shop phone and thus retiring the POTS line, I'd love to
AA> extend its useability with a BT earpiece and/or a cordless
AA> phone that supports cell-hookup.

I'm positive it will work. I'll either get it mailed out or drive out
in the next 3 weeks.

AA> But I know that other people have different billing periods.

I think they just want you to buy a new phone.

Shawn
... Macintosh: A computer with training wheels that you can't remove.