Fidonet Portal

From: Earl Truss (1:123/789)
To: All
Date: Thu, 01.11.07 10:03
Comet Holmes
Anyone get a chance to look for comet Holmes? Last night was the first really
clear night here in Minnesota in the last several weeks so I went out with my
binoculars around 10PM last night. It's very easy to find using a couple of
the stars of Cassiopeia as a pointer. When I went out, the stars pointed
straight down so I just panned downward and there it was - a circular fuzzy
patch with a slightly brighter center - very obvious once you've seen it and
it's easy to pick it out as a fuzzy-looking star with the naked eye, even here
in the light-polluted suburbs of Minneapolis. Of course last night was a cool
fall night with fairly clear skies that we get this time of year instead of the
more humid summer nights. Quite a sight - go look if you have a chance.

Here's a web site about it -
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/071023-comet-holmes-update.html

--- Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6000.16480
* Origin: The Eastern Star - Fidonet Via Your Newsreader (1:123/789.0)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Tue, 06.11.07 15:31
Re: Comet Holmes
ET> Anyone get a chance to look for comet Holmes?

Yesterday I flew back from Hartford CT to Amsterdam and at 37,000 feet had an
excellent unobstructed view ... without a telescope of course ... but I knew
where to look for it.

Amazing, at that altitude you get great sights from an airplane window, even
with the naked eye. But by neighbour thought I was behaving odd not doing like
most people in an airplane do, i.e. looking down.

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 2.9
* Origin: Many Glacier -o=O=o- Preserve - Protect - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Mon, 12.11.07 12:17
Re: Comet Holmes
ml>WD> Amazing, at that altitude you get great sights from an airplane
ml>WD> window, even with the naked eye. But by neighbour thought I was
ml>WD> behaving odd not doing like most people in an airplane do, i.e.
ml>WD> looking down.

ml> wonder what he'd have thought if you'd have shown him the ISS and/or
ml> STS-120 floating above ;)

Haven't seen the ISS or a shuttle yet from an airplane, that indeed might be a
rare occurence.

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Mon, 12.11.07 22:10
Re: Comet Holmes
-> Haven't seen the ISS or a shuttle yet from an airplane, that indeed might be

-> rare occurence.

My father was flying in a plane over central Europe when a total
eclipse of the sun occurred, back in 1999. Unfortunately, he was very
old, with poor eyesight. It should have been a spectacular sight.

dow
* Origin: The Bayman BBS,Toronto, (416)698-6573 - 1:250/514 (1:250/514)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Tue, 13.11.07 11:22
Re: Comet Holmes
DW> -> Haven't seen the ISS or a shuttle yet from an airplane, that indeed
DW> might be
DW> -> rare occurence.

DW> My father was flying in a plane over central Europe when a total
DW> eclipse of the sun occurred, back in 1999. Unfortunately, he was very
DW> old, with poor eyesight. It should have been a spectacular sight.

I remember the day ... was at home and for a small time-period it turned dark,
but not nightish dark, the eclipse was not 100% here. You could feel the
temperature drop suddenly.

Some people chased the eclipse with a Concorde, some took their mobile home to
a place where the eclipse was complete. Right, Michiel?