Fidonet Portal

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Sat, 29.09.07 18:38
Daylight saving
-> G'morning David again,

-> You'll be interested to note that NZ this day has gone one hour
-> ahead, instead of on its traditional 7th October date, to save
-> more sunlight...

-> Furthermore, instead of reverting to NZST on or about the 18th
-> March next, the new regulation adds another week to get the
-> change to the end of March in 2008.

-> As the old dates coincided with noticeable changes in
-> sunrise/sunset times, I suspect this alteration will bring in
-> dramatic consequences ... we will find out this very day.

-> Miles.

Here's two little QBasic programs I wrote a while ago:

' DSTDATE.BAS
' Calculates start and end dates of Daylight Saving Time
' David Williams, 2002
' This version March 2007.
' Note: North America currently follows different rule
' david.williams@ablelink.org

DEFINT A-Z
CLS
INPUT "Year"; Y
Q = Y + Y \ 4 - Y \ 100 + Y \ 400
F = 7 - (Q + 5) MOD 7
B = 31 - (Q + 2) MOD 7
PRINT "In the year"; STR$(Y); ", clocks are set ahead on"
PRINT "April"; STR$(F); ", and back on October"; STR$(B); "."
PRINT "Both dates are Sundays."
END

' DSTDATE.BAS
' Calculates start and end dates of Daylight Saving Time
' David Williams, 2002
' Modified for new DST rules, 2006
' david.williams@ablelink.org

DEFINT A-Z
CLS
INPUT "Year"; Y
IF Y < 2007 THEN BEEP: PRINT "Not valid before 2007": END
B = 7 - (2 + Y + Y \ 4 - Y \ 100 + Y \ 400) MOD 7
PRINT "In most of North America, in the year"; STR$(Y);
PRINT ", clocks are set ahead on March"; STR$(7 + B); ","
PRINT "and back on November"; STR$(B);
PRINT ". Both dates are Sundays."
END

The first program uses our "usual" rule for DST, that the clocks go
ahead on the first Sunday in April and back on the last Sunday in
October. But now we are in an experimental period, when the rule has
been "temporarily" changed to the second Sunday in March and the furst
Sunday in November. The second program follows that rule. Our clocks
went ahead in March this year, and will go back in November for the
first time. People are going to look at statistics for energy use,
road-traffic accidents, and so on, to see if the experiment is
successful. If not, we'll go back to the old rule in a couple of years.

The two "new" dates are ones on which the sun rises at roughly the same
time as seen from Latitude 35 deg. North, which is roughly the
population average for North America. The problem with DST is that
drivers in the morning rush-hour, when they're still bleary-eyed, tend
to have accidents if it's still dark. (Apparently, in the evening,
people are wider awake, and fewer accidents occur.Wink So the dates for
the start and end of DST are chosen so the morning rush-hour will
happen just after daylight starts, even when DST is in effect.

Good luck!

dow
* Origin: The Bayman BBS,Toronto, (416)698-6573 - 1:250/514 (1:250/514)

From: Miles Maxted (3:772/1)
To: All
Date: Mon, 01.10.07 22:07
Re: Daylight saving
G'morning again, David,

DW> Here's two little QBasic programs I wrote a while ago:

Thanks very much - I'll unearth QB and see how they perform...

DW> The first program uses our "usual" rule for DST, that the clocks go
DW> ahead on the first Sunday in April and back on the last Sunday in
DW> October. But now we are in an experimental period, when the rule has
DW> been "temporarily" changed to the second Sunday in March and the furst
DW> Sunday in November. The second program follows that rule. Our clocks
DW> went ahead in March this year, and will go back in November for the
DW> first time. People are going to look at statistics for energy use,
DW> road-traffic accidents, and so on, to see if the experiment is
DW> successful. If not, we'll go back to the old rule in a couple of years.

Hah ... there's no announced analysis involved here, although I
supect the Road Accident and Police people will leap upon the
opportunity to make statistical analyses (so our politicians can
deny all the discovered correlations that are embarrassing)...

DW> The two "new" dates are ones on which the sun rises at roughly the same
DW> time as seen from Latitude 35 deg. North, which is roughly the
DW> population average for North America. The problem with DST is that
DW> drivers in the morning rush-hour, when they're still bleary-eyed, tend
DW> to have accidents if it's still dark. (Apparently, in the evening,
DW> people are wider awake, and fewer accidents occur.Wink So the dates for
DW> the start and end of DST are chosen so the morning rush-hour will
DW> happen just after daylight starts, even when DST is in effect.

Changing daylight saving times here has been a thorn in one or two
vocal sides for decades, but this change did not come from such
considered grounds as you outline.

The Leader of the United Families Party (of 2.5 MPs - 1 elected MP
and 3 list MPs that restore popular vote proportionality [1
resigned just recently-but not from the House]Wink went into
coalition with the minority Labour party to enable it to stay
governing NZ. When one or two sports people complained that
their sport had suffered with the change from NZDST to NZST, he
climbed on their bandwagon and brayed that he'd alter things.

The Labour people needed his support on some other matter, and ao
the regulations concerning the start/stop times were simply
changed one day to the public gratification of the allpowerful UF
party.

MMP is such a democratic process here that no public or
Parliamentary debate is ever required now for such matters.

After all, some of our senior pollies and our last Privy
Councillor agreed latterly that the average NZ voter simply could
not comprehend the complexity of some political matters, and
should not be allowed to vote on them ....

If NZers ever take their pollies seriously, there will be hell to
pay - but in the meantime Kiwis tolerate them with bemusement
while they get on with important things like the William Webb
Ellis Cup and exporting Kiwifruit ....

Miles.

| 116 Sunrise Avenue, North Shore City, New Zealand |
| Ph/Fx/As: ++64-9-478-3138 Mob: ++64-21-296-3891 |

___ MultiMail/Win32 v0.47

--- Maximus/2 3.01
* Origin: === Maxie BBS. Ak, NZ +64 9 444-0989 === (3:772/1)