Fidonet Portal

From: Maurice Kinal (1:261/38.9)
To: All
Date: Tue, 17.04.12 03:46
time/date stamp kludge
Hey Alexey!

Is there a current proposal for a date kludge that takes the form of RFC 2822
Sec. 3.3? A sample of it's output is shown by: "Tue Apr 17 01:28:56 2012
+0000"

As you can see it includes the numeric form of hhmm offset for timezone. For
UTC (0000) a preceding - character denotes that the date stamp was generated
from a localtime that is not UTC whereas the + character is generated from a
true UTC based system clock, such as this machine where I am typing this
message. Also this kludge effectively eliminates the need for the TZUTC kludge
since it is already part of this proposed kludge if indeed it isn't already
proposed. Given this kludge it could be encorporated in displayed and/or
stored messages providing a better date stamp then the usual one found in FTN
message headers.

What do you think? Personally I find it far more readable and informative even
with the additional + character normally not used in the TZUTC kludge.

Life is good,
Maurice

--- GNU bash, version 4.2.24(3)-release (x86_64-core2-linux-gnu)
* Origin: Pointy Stick Society (1:261/38.9)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Fri, 20.04.12 16:03
Re: time/date stamp kludge
Michiel,

Mv>SS> Thoughts?

Mv> Dream on...

A policy-change effort can easily be started if one other ZC wants to support
the effort I wrote about previously.

I hate the "can't be done"-way.

\%/@rd

--- D'Bridge 3.59
* Origin: Many Glacier / Protect - Preserve - Conserve (2:292/854)

From: Ward Dossche (2:292/854)
To: All
Date: Fri, 20.04.12 19:30
Re: time/date stamp kludge
Michiel,

Mv> Having said that; my comment was not just about the change of policy
Mv> itself, but also about the mistaken idea that changing a few words in
Mv> policy will actually accomplish that all of Fidonet changes from local
Mv> time to UTC.

I had understood that too.

... really ... Smile