Fidonet Portal

From: Drew Klenotic (1:2215/1701)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 21.05.17 16:23
Star Trek Discovery
On 18 May 17 10:19:19 Flavio Bessa wrote...

FB> Hello everybody.
FB>
FB> Have you seen the latest Star Trek: Discovery trailer? What
FB> are your thoughts?
FB>
FB> I found it awesome!
FB>
FB> Flavio
FB>

FB> MacFidoIP 1.0 (OSX) * Origin: Hyperion's Orbit - Resisting since
FB> 1995! (4:801/189.1)

To which Drew Klenotic replies...

I haven't yet, but I'm hoping to soon.

--- RATSoft/FIDO v09.14.95 [JetMail 1.01]
* Origin: STar Fleet HQ - Atari BBS Running RatSoft ST! bbs.sfhqbbs.org:5983
(1:2215/1701)
.
205 Goodbye

From: Gary Ailes (1:129/328)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 31.03.20 17:19
Re: Star Trek Discovery
On 31 Mar 2020, Al Kaiser said the following...
AK> the "F" word. Also open gay kissing. The suggestion of "gaity" is OK
AK> but to have two male or female character kiss on screen is a no-no.

Since Roddenberry featured the first interracial kiss on American TV, I
suspect he would have had no problem with openly gay affections.

-=- HSM -=-
-=ssh/http/telnet://thefreespeak.com=-

* Origin: -=- TheFreeSpeak.com -=- Pittsburgh, PA -=- (1:129/328)

From: Richard Miles (1:3634/24)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 01.04.20 15:29
Re: Star Trek Discovery
On 31 Mar 2020, Gary Ailes said the following...

GA> Since Roddenberry featured the first interracial kiss on American TV, I
GA> suspect he would have had no problem with openly gay affections.

I tend to agree. Each of the series (TOS, TNG, etc) reflects TV and society
as a whole at the time it aired, sometimes on the leading edges. Profanity was
not as accepted on television as it is now, thus we didn't see much of it in
prior shows.

-=>Richard MilesCaptain Obviousbbs.shadowscope.com

From: Daniel (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.04.20 07:13
Re: Star Trek Discovery
-=> Al Kaiser wrote to All I just finished watching the first two seasons of Star Trek DIscovery
AK> on DVD from Netflix.

I forgot netflix still delivers DVD. We cancelled the streaming service
about two years ago and we're happy about it.

AK> It is NOT Gene Roddenberry's Trek! I do not think that he would have
AK> approved of this series. First of all for the language. In all of
AK> Trek I only remember one out and out cuss when the ship was crashing
AK> into the planet Data said "Oh Shit!" This one has out and out swearing
AK> including the "F" word. Also open gay kissing. The suggestion of
AK> "gaity" is OK but to have two male or female character kiss on screen
AK> is a no-no. Also there were aliens in this series that were never seen
AK> again in all of Trek. The whole Klingon war thing in the first season
AK> was wrong. This Trek was supposed to be a bridge between Enterprise
AK> with Archer and TOS with Kirk. The war with the Klingons was over and
AK> we were in a truce, a cold war. Remember The Trouble With Tribbles?
AK> That was the way we were with the Klingons. The Klingon makeup and
AK> laanguae was all wrong. The Klingon home planet was wrong. The home
AK> planet in Trek was "Kling" not Kronos. Kronos came later in the
AK> series. Finally the out and out violence. Murder by the fedration?
AK> I think not. They made Mudd an out and out criminal that should have
AK> been given the death sentence or at least a life sentence. They made
AK> him a murder rather than just a scrondrel.

Don't forget Star Trek IV. "Why don't you watch where you're going you
dumbass!" "Well a double-dumbass on you!!!"

Then the following conversation on colorful metaphors. Great movie that way.

AK> Spock, who was a large part of season two never had a step-sister. He
AK> had a half brother who was never mentioned. I saw only three
AK> references to TOS one was Mudd and the other whas when Pike picked up
AK> the future Spike and saw himself disfigured, also Vena and the
AK> Talosians were in the mix. They tried to get back to Trek cannon in
AK> the last two scenes in Part II of Sweet Sorrow when they had a scene on
AK> the bridge of the Entrprise as it appease, (modernly), when Pike was
AK> Captain and Spock was the Lt. Science Officer.

I've seen some scene clips on youtube and Spock smiles too much. Pissed me
off. Not sure what that's about.

AK> THey tried to write off all that happened over the two years by sending
AK> the Discovery and her crew into the future. For anyone left they were
AK> resticted "under penalty of death" of every taking or mentioning
AK> Discovery and the events that happened in the first two seasons. Even
AK> Sarek and Amanda were self quarrentined from talking about it calling
AK> them "Ambasadors To the Federation." Sarek was an Ambasador, Amanda
AK> never was.

AK> Was this a two year effort with no more seasons of Discovery? How do
AK> you have a season 3 when Discovery and all her crew is dead or gone?

AK> Well I'm waiting for "Picard" to come out on DVD. A friend says it is
AK> very good and is "good Trek". Though I do have a disagrement that Data
AK> was blown to smithereens in the last movie, but he said that Data was
AK> reconstruced from DNA taken when they tried to disassemble him when
AK> Picard fought to call him sentient. We'll see about that one.

I'm hearing the Picard show is all about Stewart saying 'F U' to Trump.
Oh, gawd, I really crave star trek as I knew it growing up.

... Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
--- MultiMail/Linux v0.49
* Origin: Digital Distortion: digdist.synchro.net (1:340/7)

From: Dumas Walker (1:2320/105)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.04.20 16:31
Re: Star Trek Discovery
> I'm hearing the Picard show is all about Stewart saying 'F U' to Trump.
> Oh, gawd, I really crave star trek as I knew it growing up.

That is all we need... another show to do that! Very Happy

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * Thesaurus: prehistoric reptile with a great vocabulary.
--- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Daniel (1:340/7)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 20.04.20 20:11
Re: Star Trek Discovery
-=> Dumas Walker wrote to DANIEL I'm hearing the Picard show is all about Stewart saying 'F U' to Trump.
> Oh, gawd, I really crave star trek as I knew it growing up.

DW> That is all we need... another show to do that! Very Happy

What can I say? I'm a fan of the original series.