Fidonet Portal

From: Michiel van der Vlist (2:280/5555)
To: All
Date: Tue, 19.12.06 15:35
FidoNews Editor MIA?
Hello Carol!

On Sunday December 17 2006 17:02, you wrote to me:

MvdV>> True up to a point, but that was not the issue at hand. Which
MvdV>> was that listing nodes with 000-0-0-0-0 in field six is not
MvdV>> documented anywhere and therefore is not a standard.

CS> The situation exists.

And people run red lights. Should we now proclaim that a standard as well just
because the situation exists?

CS> Your desire or lack of desire for it is not really relevant. Nor
CS> will it be placed to a 'vote of acceptance' for you to decide on.
CS> The zones themselves will adapt to it or not as they desire.

And that is what bothers me. It was not placed to a vote of acceptance by
*anyone*. Allowing an all zero "telephone number" was a decree by *one* ZC. No
one outside that zone was consulted. Not the FTSC, not the other zones. No one.
It was just pushed through. No consultation, no filtering, no feed back, no
checks and balances, no nothing. Input from other zones was ignored. As you
very well know Z3 has great problems with these zeros. The FTSC has been
degraded to a set of clerks that may do nothing but document whatever the ZC's
seem fit to decree. Technically sound or not.

This sets a dangerous precedent and opens the door to politicians making more
and more technically unsound decisions. What will be next? I don't know, but
what I do know is that this is bad for the smooth operation of the network.

I am more and more leaning towards the opinion that it was a mistake to allow
you to maintain your seat in the FTSC when you became a ZC. There is an obvious
and serious conflict of interest.

CS> Eventually, it will get documented.

Maybe. And maybe one day someone will document how to best run red lights.

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20060315
* Origin: http://www.vlist.org (2:280/5555)