Fidonet Portal

From: Michiel van der Vlist (2:280/5555)
To: All
Date: Thu, 10.01.13 17:42
Switchover to 3.3.0

On Monday January 07 2013 01:39, you wrote to Ward Dossche:

BF> Since my 2:203/6 entry still doesn't compile, I guess we're still
BF> stuck with the 26 character set, dictated by zone 1? Can this really
BF> be true, in this year of 2013?

I am all for lifting the ASCII only limitation for the nodelist. Seo Andrew how
about an option:

AllowNonAscii 0|1 ??

BF> If you had rather used my Y2K patched version (where the outdated
BF> 26 character limitation was one of corrections I made), available for
BF> more than 12 years now, 2:203/6 would read correctly.

Correctly in what character encoding scheme?

Because here is where I see an issue. If 7 bit only was forced on us by what
now is a majority, we do not want to do the same unto others do we? I strongly
suspect that you used an 8 bit character set for your Umlaut experiment. Like
CP850 or Latin-1. That is fine for us Western Europeans who need umlauts and
accnets. But not so fine for what is now the majority: those who use a
cyrillic character set for their native languages. It is them that are the
majority now. They need CP866 or KOI8R...

Surely we do not want to force CP850 or Latin-1 one onto them do we?

Unfortunately I see no practical way to swicth charactere encoding on the fly
in the nodelist. Also unfortunately there is no 8 bit character set that covers
both umlauts, accents AND cyrillic.

So... /if/ we allow non ASCII in the nodleist, it will have to be encoded as
UTF-8.

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MINGW 1.1.5-b20110320
* Origin: http://www.vlist.eu (2:280/5555)