Fidonet Portal

From: Janis Kracht (1:261/38)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.11.12 13:09
FidoGazette Vol 6 no 19 Page: 4
Hi Mark,

>>> Convection Oven Holiday Turkey
[...]

>> make sure you leave the cavity open on both ends... and point the
>> larger opening toward the convection fan so you get a good even
>> internal cook as well as the outside... one might want to rotate the
>> bird a few times, too ;)

>> Interesting neither was necessary... Perhaps it has to do with the
>> oven itself? It is only about 4 years old. The turkey I cooked in
>> it the other day was cooked evenly throughout ;)

> i dunno... i do it just because... that and that folks were having problems
>years back when cooking their dressing in the turkey and it wasn't cooking all
> the way thru so folks were getting sick...

Ah.. if you're doing a stuffed bird, you do have to be so careful. In that
case, yes, you would have to make sure first you had the legs facing the back
at least.. When I cooked a stuffed bird in the convection oven, I cooked it at
350F after the 20 Min. at 400F.. and cooked it for a bit longer than the
unstuffed bird. I'm trying to remember how long it took.. it could have been
an extra hour, I just remember testing by plunging the instant-read thermometor
in the stuffing and in the legs. I didn't use any egg in the stuffing either,
just butter, olive oil, onions, celery, carrots, seasoning, bread, and the neck
chopped in maybe 3 pieces. I removed the neck pieces from the frying pan
before stuffing the bird.

>> Also, from what I could see, keeping the bird at room temperature
>> for those two hours before roasting, might have helped..? In not
>> tying up the legs, it makes sense it would help as well.

>that's something i learned a long time back... depending on what i'm cooking,
> will either let it stay cool until it goes on or i will let it come to room
>temp... turkey and chicken i generally let come to room temp so they will cook
> all the way without being over done on the outside...

Yep.. Smile

>pork and beef, on the
>other hand, really depend... especially beef with a target of rare to med-rare

Oh yeah, for sure.. rare, rare rare Lol Ok, sometimes I eh, under-do roasts a
bit and Ron says the thing could still be mooing haha.. So I go for rare... in
beef roasts and steaks, etc.. Pork and lamb I generally cook all the way just
'cause..

> ;) and of course, there's the fire aspect to consider... a really hot fire
> works great in some cases... not too well in others...

Yeah.. I like to start roast beef real hot, like 500F for 10 minutes, then I
reduce it down to 350F.

Next issue, I'll post this roast beef recipe that won me a contest .. now I'm
getting hungry Lol

Take care,
Janis

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1