Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (2:221/1.58)
To: All
Date: Mon, 15.02.21 23:20
real names
Hello Dan Clough!

** On Saturday 13.02.21 - 19:57, Dan Clough wrote to Wilfred van Velzen:

DC> ...Persons posting to Fidonet echos are supposed to be
DC> using real names. Whether they're a nodelisted Sysop, or a
DC> Point, or a normal user on a BBS, makes no difference.
DC> They're supposed to be using a real name. Simple.

I don't think there is a hard n fast rule that states all of
Fidonet = Real Names, anywhere. It has probably just been a
kind of tradition and expectation over the years.

[1] Where does the assumption that a real name must be both
first name and lastname originate or found in documentation?
Oli seems real to me especially because of [2].

[2] Oli isn't exactly not real. His messages include a point
address. That point address is traceable to the Z2PNT segment
of the nodelist. There his full name is broadcast in all its
glory.

[3] But even your name isn't consistent across other FTNs:

It's Dan Clough for:

Palantir BBS, Pensacola FL USA 1:123/115
Palantir BBS, Pensacola USA 21:2/138
Palantir BBS, Pensacola USA 77:1/114

But it's Daniel Clough for:

Palantir BBS, Cantonment FL 618:250/24

So, I say give Oli a break and be rest assured that Oli =
Oliver, and we can live with Dan = Daniel. ;)

--
../|ug = /|ugust

--- OpenXP 5.0.48
* Origin: (2:221/1.58)