Fidonet Portal

From: Carol Shenkenberger (1:275/100)
To: All
Date: Sun, 14.02.21 16:53
2021 FTSC Standing Member Election - Term Expirations
Re: 2021 FTSC Standing Member Election - Term Expirations
By: Nicholas Boel to Carol Shenkenberger on Sun Feb 14 2021 08:33 am

> Hello Carol,
>
> On Thu Feb 11 2021 22:03:16, Carol Shenkenberger wrote to Nicholas Boel:
>
> CS> Well Nick B, With no propsals, our 'work' has been helping people
> CS> understand how to MAKE one.
>
> The last couple of proposals that I remember coming through here, ended up
> going through a rigorous spelling and grammar checking, and once they could
> be almost completely reworded any more, they were forgotten and never brough
> up again.
>
> CS> Ozz had a lot of problems with no modern guides. Modern developers
> CS> aren't passing new guides to those who can follow suit. We have
> CS> 'pipeline development' now.
>
> Some of these modern developers (Synchronet, Husky, for example) have
> documented their own software fully. One only has to go to the wiki to see i
> all. Why would they want to burden themselves documenting their own software
> and then writing up proposals and or documentation for the FTSC when they're
> not a member, and probably don't want to be one?
>
> CS> Modern tech tells us that is a dead end eventually.
>
> I'm not sure what modern tech is telling you this, but "---SBBSecho 2.11-Win
> is 10-15 years old now. If you don't keep up with modern tech, I'm not sure
> you can use it as an excuse for anything.
>
> CS> Some of us are helping developers with how to get the 'word out' and
> CS> then we see what works.
>
> CS> I'd really hope Stas will help at least with some tech to smartphones
> CS> IOS if I got right. I'd like to see somthing from the Mystic
> CS> developer and to see SBBS actually submit suggested implementation
> CS> proposals would be excellent.
>
> My point is, why should they have to submit anything? They're doing the work
> their own softwares, and documenting it quite nicely. There is absolutely no
> reason to burden them with twice the amount of work. It's the FTSC's job to
> document for Fidonet, not theirs.
>
> CS> Technically SBBS is open source but that doesnt mean others know the
> CS> basics to find it.
>
> No but any current FTSC members should know how to find it. If they don't, t
> probably shouldn't be FTSC members.
>
> CS> So, any better ideas? With no repository on 'how-to' we leave all
> CS> developers hanging and we die. It doesnt MATTER if it is a proposal
> CS> or raised to a standard just now. It needs to be where they can find
> CS> it.
>
> It is where they can find it. They're just not looking.
>
> Regards,
> Nick
>
> ... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."

Nick, we are talking OTHER developers may not know where to find it.

xxcarol
--- SBBSecho 2.11-Win32
* Origin: SHENK'S EXPRESS telnet://shenks.synchro.net (1:275/100)