Fidonet Portal

From: Rob Swindell (1:103/705)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 12:59
"Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)
Re: "Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)
By: Maurice Kinal to Oli on Sat Feb 13 2021 02:06 pm

> -={ 2021-02-13 14:06:58.413218119+00:00 }=-
>
> Hey Oli!
>
> O> I think I found one omission: The value from "month" in the Type
> O> 2(+) packet header is "0-11 for Jan-Dec" (in contrast to 1-31 for
> O> "day" of month). This isn't mentioned in Stephen's draft.
>
> I believe that is a consequence of time.h and has nothing to do with
> fidonet. It is all in the localtime(Wink structure that 0-11 for months was
> used rather than the 01-12 used for months in strftime(Wink which is also part
> of time.h. According to c89 standards output for strftime does include
> enough % specifiers to output proper iso-8601 or even a rfc-3339 formatted
> datetime stamp. For sure "2021-02-13 14:06:58 +0000" is doable and is
> backwards compatible to c89. We could have been using a four digit year
> since day one.

The month field being discussed here is from the packet header, which is binary
(not a string of text). The date field you're referring to is in a "packed
message" header. The *year* field of the packet header is already 16-bits, so
can already accomodate years up to 65535.
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 20:57
Re: "Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)
-=> Wilfred van Velzen wrote to Dan Clough <=-

WvV>> "Oli" are the first letters of his first name. So it's not
WvV>> exactly an alias. And when you have the Z2PNT list installed in
WvV>> Golded, you just have to press F10, when you have one of his
WvV>> messages open to find out his real name. So he isn't really
WvV>> posting anonymous, or trying to hide anything...

DC> Perhaps all true, but not really the point.

DC> What if one is NOT using Golded with that point list installed, like all
DC> of the people in Zone 1, for example?

WvV> Anyone can get the pointlist, and you don't need Golded to look
WvV> at it's content, it's just an ascii file, like any nodelist.

Understood, but again it's not really the point. Persons posting to
Fidonet echos are supposed to be using real names. Whether they're a
nodelisted Sysop, or a Point, or a normal user on a BBS, makes no
difference. They're supposed to be using a real name. Simple.

... So easy, a child could do it. Child sold separately.
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
* Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 21:04
Re: "Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)
-=> Oli wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> Most Fidonet echos "require" a real name. Does this one? If so, why is
DC> he being allowed to post here with that name?

Ol> We had this discussion already some months/years ago. Read the
Ol> rules.

I'd like to read the rules. The most recent "ELISTxxx" archive I have
contains a zip file of rules for various echos, but not a rules file for
this echo. Where can I find the published rules for this echo?

Ol> What about calling people assholes, tell them to die and other
Ol> stuff? Is that somehow covered by the 'rules'? If you like law
Ol> and order, please behave yourself.

That's a different thing altogether. I don't know if it's covered by
the rules, because the rules don't seem to be available. As for
behaving, I am not the one posting with a fake name.

Would you mind telling *WHY* you won't use a proper name? Are you
hiding something? Afraid of something? Why?

... Press any key to continue or any other key to quit

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Mon, 15.02.21 14:56
Re: "Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)
-=> andrew clarke wrote to Dan Clough <=-

DC> Would you mind telling *WHY* you won't use a proper name? Are you
DC> hiding something? Afraid of something? Why?

ac> Why should he?

I've already answered this. Read the thread and try to keep up.

<SNIP repetitive drivel>

... Pros are those who do their jobs well, even when they don't feel like it.