Fidonet Portal

From: Oli (2:280/464.47)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 13:38
"Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)
Wilfred wrote (2021-02-12):

Ol>> Why is the FTSC unable to publish an FTS for the packet format(s) in
Ol>> use for decades?

WvV> A couple of years back there was someone who put together a document
WvV> describing the different pkt formats in use. It was discussed here, but I
WvV> don't know what happend to it, because the name it was given:

WvV> Publication: FSP-1040 draft 3
WvV> Revision: 1
WvV> Title: Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats
WvV> Author: Stephen Hurd 1:103/1
WvV> Date: 2016-02-11

Thanks, found it:
https://bbsdev.net/fsp/FSP-1040.txt

Good work by Stephen (and feedback from mark lewis). It's sad that it didn't
get published.

I think I found one omission: The value from "month" in the Type 2(+) packet
header is "0-11 for Jan-Dec" (in contrast to 1-31 for "day" of month). This
isn't mentioned in Stephen's draft.

---
* Origin: . (2:280/464.47)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 08:47
Re: "Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)

O> I think I found one omission: The value from "month" in the Type 2(+)
O> packet header is "0-11 for Jan-Dec" (in contrast to 1-31 for "day" of
O> month). This isn't mentioned in Stephen's draft.

BF> WOW! What an extraordinary sharp-eyed find! You really should
BF> earn a place in the now defunct FTSC -- but first you have to fix
BF> the name that you present to all of us in the header.

BF> Oli, is that all you have on the first line when you receive a
BF> letter from the postman? I think not, so why here on Fidonet?

Perhaps he's afraid for anyone to know his real name? Wouldn't be
unusual for a troll such as him to want to hide in the shadows.

Why is he allowed to post in here? Can't the boss node of his point
enforce the rules? Why hasn't that person configured his system
properly?

... Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux
* Origin: Palantir * palantirbbs.ddns.net * Pensacola, FL * (1:123/115)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 16:02
Re: "Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)
Hi Dan,

BF>> Oli, is that all you have on the first line when you receive a
BF>> letter from the postman? I think not, so why here on Fidonet?

DC> Perhaps he's afraid for anyone to know his real name?

"Oli" are the first letters of his first name. So it's not exactly an alias.
And when you have the Z2PNT list installed in Golded, you just have to press
F10, when you have one of his messages open to find out his real name. So he
isn't really posting anonymous, or trying to hide anything...

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-lnx64 2.1.0.18-B20170815
* Origin: FMail development HQ (2:280/464)

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 10:20
Re: "Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)
-=> Wilfred van Velzen wrote to Dan Clough <=-

BF>> Oli, is that all you have on the first line when you receive a
BF>> letter from the postman? I think not, so why here on Fidonet?

DC> Perhaps he's afraid for anyone to know his real name?

WvV> "Oli" are the first letters of his first name. So it's not
WvV> exactly an alias. And when you have the Z2PNT list installed in
WvV> Golded, you just have to press F10, when you have one of his
WvV> messages open to find out his real name. So he isn't really
WvV> posting anonymous, or trying to hide anything...

Perhaps all true, but not really the point.

What if one is NOT using Golded with that point list installed, like all
of the people in Zone 1, for example?

Most Fidonet echos "require" a real name. Does this one? If so, why is
he being allowed to post here with that name?

... Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (P)anic

From: Dan Clough (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 10:23
Re: "Packet Type 2 Compatible Formats" (Ex FSP-1040)

DC> Perhaps he's afraid for anyone to know his real name? Wouldn't be
DC> unusual for a troll such as him to want to hide in the shadows.

BF> Well, true enough. But to his defence I'd like to add that
BF> Google has breached our barricades, so now every message where
BF> our true names occur can end up in a Google search.

Probably true as well. But that doesn't change the rules in here. If a
person is that worried about their real name showing up, they shouldn't
post at all. The rules apply to everyone, not just the non-paranoid
ones. He shouldn't be allowed to post here with that name.

... Nothing is so smiple that it can't get screwed up.

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Sat, 13.02.21 16:57

On 2021-02-13 09:20:00, you wrote to me:

WvV>> "Oli" are the first letters of his first name. So it's not
WvV>> exactly an alias. And when you have the Z2PNT list installed in
WvV>> Golded, you just have to press F10, when you have one of his
WvV>> messages open to find out his real name. So he isn't really
WvV>> posting anonymous, or trying to hide anything...

DC> Perhaps all true, but not really the point.

DC> What if one is NOT using Golded with that point list installed, like all
DC> of the people in Zone 1, for example?

Anyone can get the pointlist, and you don't need Golded to look at it's
content, it's just an ascii file, like any nodelist.