Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (2:221/1.58)
To: All
Date: Fri, 05.02.21 00:09
a phone for someone who hates phones
Hello y'All!

Not sure where to post this, but I'll x-post in a few other
echos.

I am looking for ideas on how to set up a cantankerous old
Yosemite Sam fellow with a cellphone system that he would use.

What DOESN't work for him are the touch-screen smartphones that
require swiping and tapping. Swiping left for one thing and
right or up or down for other things just confuses him.

A flip-phone was OK. But navigating through the menus was
confusing - especially with previous Alcatel models, I think.

The main problem is that cell signals do not work very well just
50ft from the end of the driveway to his cabin. He claims that
the signal is fine at the end of the driveway (where he parks
his vehicle during the winter) but a phone would not work in his
dwelling.

Personally, I have a feeling that his old phones were configured
to work in 4G LTE only. Perhaps if his previous phones were
switched to 3G/2G, the signals would be better?

I was imagining a solution like this: keep a fully charged
cellphone in the truck (at the end of the driveway) and have a
normal phone in the dwelling that is linked up with the one in
the truck.

Does anyone here employ such a solution and have experience with
such a thing?

Not long ago I was looking to replace an older 2.4G cordless
phone of my own with something else and learned that there are
domestic cordless stations that now have the ability to utilize
a nearby cellphone's service. That way, one can use a regular
handset for answering and making calls. I think my Yosemite Sam
friend would be more comfortable if he could use a larger
handset that is typical for cordless phones. He seems to fumble
with delicate little cellphones and hates them.

The cell-to-cordless distance would be at most 50ft.

--- OpenXP 5.0.48
* Origin: Mobile? COFFEE_KLATSCH = https://tinyurl.com/y56r9f2o (2:221/1.58)