Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (2:221/1.58)
To: All
Date: Mon, 25.01.21 10:40
deaf and dumb
Hello Bob!

** On Friday 22.01.21 - 14:46, Bob Roberts wrote to August Abolins:

BR> Are you often the recipient of singing telegrams? It must
BR> have happened at least once if this was even a
BR> possibility...

Not often. I would not really expect one delivered to my rural
town. But I am totally familiar with the service - I even
considered participating in that business (for some fun and
extra cash) at one time when I lived in a city. That could have
lead to a kind of strip-telegram, but I digress. Very Happy

BR> .. A person, claiming to be deaf, will hand out cards
BR> indicating their are deaf and soliciting a donation.
BR> Sometimes it will be accompanied by an item which you can
BR> keep if you donate. It's most often a small package of
BR> tissues. They will start at one end of the car, hand out
BR> all their cards and tissue, then go back and pick up the
BR> tissue, and/or donations left.

Yes, they prey on one's guilty feelings.

At those times I imagined that all they needed as a
reciprocating "card" handed back to them, telling them how
pathetic their attempts are.

--
../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.48