Fidonet Portal

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Fri, 06.07.07 12:23
Freezing
-> Yesterday I watched a program called Brainiac, the English ver. of MythBuste

-> and they put warm water in the freezer together with cold water. The warm
-> water did freeze faster than the cold water......hmmmmm......

Did they offer any explanation of this?

One possibility is that the cold water may have held more dissolved
air, since heating the warm water would have driven some of it out.
When ice was forming, the air would have produced bubbles, so the ice
on the cold water would have been "frothier", and had a lower heat
conductivity, than the ice on the initially-warm water. This could have
slowed the freezing of the cold water.

I with I'd seen the experiment, but Brainiac doesn't seem to be carried
on any of the TV channels I can get here.

dow
* Origin: The Bayman BBS,Toronto, (416)698-6573 - 1:250/514 (1:250/514)