Fidonet Portal

From: Bjrn Forsstrm (2:203/614.61)
To: All
Date: Wed, 04.07.07 10:10
Freezing
->> That's another question. We have it in 33 cl bottles and cans but from
->> where comes that odd volume? Why not 30 or 35?

DW> I wonder why Europeans use centilitres. Here in North America, we use
DW> millilitres for amounts less than a litre but more than a few drops.

A good question that I haven't thought about before. In small volumes we use
ml like with a syringe, over that we can use either cl or l. I see on wine
bottles
for example that they more and more use ml instead of l so it seems that this
is about to change.

DW> And why is fuel consumption measured in "litres per hundred kilometres"?

Liter per ten kilometer. At least here.

DW> Centilitres per kilometre (cL/km) would be the same number and, at least
DW> for Europeans, would use only familiar units.

Liter is more familiar than cl. The only we say cl about are those 33 cl
bottles and
cans.

DW> Here, we might use mL/km,
DW> which would be a number ten times bigger. The Smart car, for example, on a
DW> highway, is rated at 37 mL/km. That makes perfect sense to me. A couple of
DW> tablespoons of gas would drive the car a kilometre.

Sure but we're not used to use ml in this matter. Perhaps this is about to
change
as well.

---
* Origin: . (2:203/614.61)