Fidonet Portal

From: DAVID WILLIAMS (1:250/514)
To: All
Date: Tue, 03.07.07 12:22
Freezing
-> DW> The bottles are 12 *British* fluid ounces. 341 ml.

-> That's another question. We have it in 33 cl bottles and cans but from where

-> comes that odd volume? Why not 30 or 35?

I guess they decided a third of a litre was an appropriate size for a
beer.

I should have mentioned that, although our beer *bottles* are 341 mL,
which is 12 *British* fluid ounces, beer *cans* are 355 mL, which I
believe is 12 *U.S.* fluid ounces. I guess the cans are made in the
States. Generally, the bottles and cans are sold for the same price,
but there is no refund when cans are returned to the Beer Store, so
canned beer is a bit more expensive than bottled beer, per unit volume.
Of course, cans can't be cleaned and reused like bottles. Most people
just recycle the cans through the municipal system.

dow
* Origin: The Bayman BBS,Toronto, (416)698-6573 - 1:250/514 (1:250/514)