Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (2:221/1.58)
To: All
Date: Fri, 22.01.21 10:40
deaf and dumb
Yesterday I got a flashback to the past when a deaf/dumb fellow
walked into my shop. I didn't think the deaf/dumb tactic was a
thing anymore.

My shop is partially dark, (reduced overhead lighting during
lockdown) and cold (reduced heating). I thought it was unusual
that someone wouldn't respond to my "Hello". He just comes up
to the check-out counter and proceeds to pull out 3 different ID
cards and lay them out. They looked rather worn from being
stored in a pocket. I did not look very closely, but one of
them had the words "deaf", "hearing", "please", "give".

I didn't look any closer for more details. I just said "I don't
have time for this." Meanwhile, while standing in front of me,
the fellow looks around the store. He made no attempt at eye-
contact. There was no attempt to even communicate and
appreciate my time or consideration. This is why I thought this
was a pathetic performance and possibly a scam.

The last time this sort of thing happend was over 8 years ago. A
couple of singers with their guitars came into my shop,
accompanying an apparrently a deaf girl. The premise was that my
dollars would help pay for her livelyhood, or act as a tip for
their wonderful unsolicited music, or something. At first I
thought that maybe someone was delivering a singing telegram.
But the request to pay for the performance combined with the
begging really pissed me off more than anything.

At times like this I wish I could brandish my Crocadile Dundee
"you call that a knife?" machette, or call "Tiny", my doberman
with a spiked collar, to escort these types out the door.

--- OpenXP 5.0.48
* Origin: Mobile? COFFEE_KLATSCH = https://tinyurl.com/y56r9f2o (2:221/1.58)