Fidonet Portal

From: Nicholas Boel (1:154/10)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 10:12
Great!
Hello Richard,

On Mon Jan 04 2021 13:00:12, Richard Menedetter wrote to Nicholas Boel:

RM> Anyhow ... I am currently quit happy with it.
RM> But I am still struggling a bit with apt update versus pacman -Syu
RM> I find it highly unintuitive.

Do you even have to use pacman with Manjaro? I thought it had a nice GUI
package management system that can do all of that for you?

RM> Do you also use Arch on the Desktop?

I don't personally. I use Arch for all of my personal servers. However, it
could easily be installed and setup on a desktop.

RM> How does it compare to Ubuntu on the desktop?

Archlinux starts from a very basic console install, with no GUI/desktop
environment. You choose what you want to install after that. Manjaro is more
comparable to Ubuntu where you have a full GUI after installation. I don't dig
too far into it to care to have an opinion on which is better or not though,
since linux is always about personal preference and what works better for you.

RM> On servers I use Debian, and I am very happy with it.
RM> (I do not mind the older releases it ships with ...Wink

Since my servers are all for personal hobby only, and in no way work related or
professional, I chose Arch since it's very bleeding edge, quite the opposite of
Debian. If any of this hobby was actually used professionally, I would probably
use a more notably stable distribution. *shrug*

Regards,
Nick

... "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway."
--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.5-b20181215
* Origin: thePharcyde_ distribution system (Wisconsin) (1:154/10)