Fidonet Portal

From: andrew clarke (3:633/267)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 13:06
MS Visual C++
06 Jan 21 00:34, you wrote to Gerrit Kuehn:

GK>> AT> because it's a
GK>> AT> prerequisite for DOSBox.
GK>>
GK>> This Dosbox? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox
GK>>
GK>> I don't see why this would require VisualC++.

AT> Good point! I see my mistake now. I'm following someone's instructions
AT> on how to use doorway.exe, which calls for DOSBox, but I think these
AT> instructions are aimed for Windows users - probably Windows users need
AT> Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 in order to use DosBox.

Yes, though I suspect it's even simpler than that, and that DOSBox on Windows
just requires the Visual C++ 2010 runtime library, eg.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=14632

"Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)"

Which is a 5 MB download that installs a few DLL files into the Windows system
folder.

AT> I should be fine as long as I have DOSBox installed. I was
AT> overthinking it.

For the record, a few years ago Microsoft released "Visual Studio Code" which
can be used to write C++ programs (and many other languages, eg. Python) in
Linux. Though it's not the same product as Visual Studio. And if you're just
starting out in coding, you definitely don't need it, especially not in Linux,
and especially not to use DOSBox. Smile

--- GoldED+/BSD 1.1.5-b20180707
* Origin: Blizzard of Ozz, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia (3:633/267)