Fidonet Portal

From: Kai Richter (2:240/77)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 00:21
*nix Licenses
Hello Richard!

08 Jan 21, Richard Falken wrote to Kai Richter:

>> So if i tell you it does not work, then it is still your
>> responsibility to f a way that will work for me.

RF> Agreed, but I don't think it is a big deal still.

RF> I mean, you don't even need to have the source code publicly
RF> available. If one of your customers wants it enough to phone you in
RF> for it, you just send him a copy somehow. The only thing you need to
RF> do is to have the source code provisioned in your own facilities if
RF> you don't trust upstream to keep repositories available undefinitedly.

Yes. But we are talking about business. In other words you have to be prepared.

RF> Just in case I made it not clear, what I meant is that it is not a
RF> big deal in the sense that it does not affect your business model
RF> much.

If you are not prepared your competitor can take advantage of that and the cost
of the lawsuit could ruin your business. For a business that don't want to
spend some 100red bucks to a lawyer a lawsuits will be a big neckbreaking deal.

RF> If you sell hardware appliances then having to opensource the
RF> software you are running is unlikely to make you sell less machines,
RF> in a significative number at least.

He wants to use third party software. I didn't find a license for that fuitbox
stuff he wants to use but i did not dig deep. If it's a selfmade licence then
you need to go into details for a forecast of the adverse effects.

Regards

Kai

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.4.7
* Origin: Monobox (2:240/77)