Fidonet Portal

From: Richard Falken (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Fri, 08.01.21 12:06
*nix Licenses
Re: *nix Licenses
By: Kai Richter to Richard Falken on Thu Jan 07 2021 07:28 pm

> We both may agree that i would download it from a repo server somewhere on t
> web but i don't have to. Let's say i'm on a limited cellphone bandwith and
> claim this part of the GPL:
>
> "For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
> gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same
> freedoms that you received.
> *You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code*."
>
> So if i tell you it does not work, then it is still your responsibility to f
> a way that will work for me.
>
> Regards
>
> Kai

Agreed, but I don't think it is a big deal still.

I mean, you don't even need to have the source code publicly available. If one
of your customers wants it enough to phone you in for it, you just send him a
copy somehow. The only thing you need to do is to have the source code
provisioned in your own facilities if you don't trust upstream to keep
repositories available undefinitedly.

Relatedly, this is one of the reasons why I like Slackware. The source code
comes with the DVD.

Just in case I made it not clear, what I meant is that it is not a big deal in
the sense that it does not affect your business model much. If you sell
hardware appliances then having to opensource the software you are running is
unlikely to make you sell less machines, in a significative number at least.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux