Fidonet Portal

From: Kai Richter (2:240/77)
To: All
Date: Thu, 07.01.21 20:28
*nix Licenses
Hello Richard!

07 Jan 21, Richard Falken wrote to paul lee:

RF> Since your business model is selling hardware, this should be no big
RF> deal anyway.

If the hardware comes with pre-installed GPL software it is a big deal.

RF> If you appliance uses unmodified Linux / GNU components, then you
RF> need not to worry.

Are you sure? From my point of view the GPL is a point to point license.

If you install a GPLed Linux on your hardware and sell it to me, then we both
have a contract. If you sold me the binary of an GPLed Linux then i can request
the source from you because you are the distributor.

We both may agree that i would download it from a repo server somewhere on the
web but i don't have to. Let's say i'm on a limited cellphone bandwith and
claim this part of the GPL:

"For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same
freedoms that you received.
*You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code*."

So if i tell you it does not work, then it is still your responsibility to find
a way that will work for me.

Regards

Kai

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.4.7