Fidonet Portal

From: Gerrit Kuehn (2:240/12)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 12:50
*nix Licenses
Hello Richard!

06 Jan 21 09:55, Richard Menedetter wrote to paul lee:

pl>> I want to SELL a product.
pl>> One section of this product needs a *nix OS. Can I use any ole Linux
pl>> distro as the OS, or do I need to focus on the nicer licensed FreeBSD
pl>> or similar?
pl>> I want to SELL a product and need a *nix OS. What OS would you use?

RM> It depends on if you want to CHANGE the kernel.
RM> If yes, you need to make those changes public if you are using the
RM> linux kernel. (GPLv2)

RM> So in general you can use anything.
RM> Just obey the licenses of those products.

Just take care that this covers the kernel only. Your casual Linux distribution
will come with many more pieces of software aboard, each of it bringing in its
own licence.

Regards,
Gerrit

... 11:50AM up 77 days, 22:51, 8 users, load averages: 0.16, 0.20, 0.22

--- Msged/BSD 6.1.2
* Origin: America asleep, since Mulberry's too long (2:240/12)