Fidonet Portal

From: Richard Falken (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 06:57
*nix Licenses
Re: *nix Licenses
By: paul lee to All on Tue Jan 05 2021 05:24 pm

> I might be completely wrong, but don't THINK so.
>
> I want to SELL a product.
> One section of this product needs a *nix OS. Can I use any ole Linux distro
> the OS, or do I need to focus on the nicer licensed FreeBSD or similar?
>
> I want to SELL a product and need a *nix OS. What OS would you use?
>

> |07p|15AULIE|1142|07o

It depends on what you want to do and how you want to distribute it.

Many appliances use a Linux firmware with propietary extensions and they do
fine. Keep in mind that if you use modified components of Linux or its userland
you may be required to release the source code.

You'd get helpful answers if you told us what the product is.

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux