Fidonet Portal

From: Richard Falken (1:123/115)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 17:52
MS Visual C++
Re: MS Visual C++
By: Aaron Thomas to All on Mon Jan 04 2021 05:50 pm

> Can I install Microsoft Visual C++ SP1 on Ubuntu?
>
> I think the answer is "no," but hoping it's "yes!"
>
> If not, could there be an equivalent for Linux?
>
> I'm not much of a C++ programmer or anything, I just want this because it's
> prerequisite for DOSBox.

QT Creator is fine for C++. HP's printing division uses it heavily on Linux. I
think they also use Visual Studio Code for Linux.

Visual C++ is listed as Windows only in Wikipedia

--
gopher://gopher.richardfalken.com/1/richardfalken
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Tue, 05.01.21 02:01
Re: MS Visual C++
RF> QT Creator is fine for C++. HP's printing division uses it heavily on
RF> Linux. I think they also use Visual Studio Code for Linux.

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 01:34
Re: MS Visual C++
GK> AT> I'm not much of a C++ programmer or anything, I just want this
GK> AT> because it's a
GK> AT> prerequisite for DOSBox.
GK>
GK> This Dosbox? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox
GK>
GK> I don't see why this would require VisualC++.

Good point! I see my mistake now. I'm following someone's instructions on how
to use doorway.exe, which calls for DOSBox, but I think these instructions are
aimed for Windows users - probably Windows users need Microsoft Visual C++
2010 SP1 in order to use DosBox.

I should be fine as long as I have DOSBox installed. I was overthinking it.

Thank you!

From: bebyx (2:467/888.57)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 18:38
Re: MS Visual C++
Hello, Aaron Thomas.
On 06.01.21 00:34 you wrote:

AT> Good point! I see my mistake now. I'm following someone's
AT> instructions on how to use doorway.exe, which calls for DOSBox,
AT> but I think these instructions are aimed for Windows users -
AT> probably Windows users need Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 in order
AT> to use DosBox.

As far as I know, you can install dosbox simply with apt on Ubuntu.

Here's the article on this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DOSBox

The instruction is pretty straightforward.

AT> I should be fine as long as I have DOSBox installed. I was
AT> overthinking it.

Do you do it for oldschool gaming? I also was thinking about this a while ago,
but actually I would prefer Dendy or similar (it was my first console Smile Wink. And
GNU/Linux has package for this also!

--
--- Hotdoged/2.13.5/Android
* Origin: Android device, Milky Way (2:467/888.57)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 17:57
Re: MS Visual C++
be> Do you do it for oldschool gaming? I also was thinking about this a
be> while ago, but actually I would prefer Dendy or similar (it was my first
be> console Smile Wink. And GNU/Linux has package for this also!

Thanks. Installing DOSBox should be no problem.

I'm installing DOSBox so I could use a program called Doorway (doorway.exe)

And I'm going to use Doorway to run an old text-based DOS game as a door on my
BBS. (Dopewars!Wink

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 06:35
Re: MS Visual C++
ac> if you're just starting out in coding, you definitely don't need it,
ac> especially not in Linux, and especially not to use DOSBox. Smile

I know, I was reading the instructions for Doorway and the very 1st instruction
said to download and install MSft Visual C++, and I just stopped there and
started wondering how to do that in Linux.

Then further into the instructions I realized it was just a pre-requisite for
Windows users in order to use DoxBox, and I've already got DosBox running under
Linux so I should have just ignored that step. I spazzed out.

But now for my next trick, I'm going to try to find out if I'll be able to use
a fossil driver with Linux - because it appears that a fossil driver is a
prerequisite for Doorway.

Am I being stupid again? lol I don't know if there's a fossil driver for linux
but I'm about to try to find out..

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Linux/64)
* Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)

From: Alan Ianson (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 01:40
Re: MS Visual C++
Re: Re: MS Visual C++
By: Aaron Thomas to andrew clarke on Sat Jan 09 2021 05:35 am

AT> Am I being stupid again? lol I don't know if there's a fossil driver for
AT> linux but I'm about to try to find out..

Yes, bnu or x00 will work for you in those cases where a fossil is needed. I
use x00 with dosemu.

Ttyl Smile,
Al

... Hors d'oeuvres--a ham sandwich cut into forty pieces.
--- SBBSecho 3.12-Linux

From: Tony Langdon (3:633/410)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 21:18
Re: MS Visual C++
-=> On 01-09-21 05:35, Aaron Thomas wrote to andrew clarke <=-

AT> But now for my next trick, I'm going to try to find out if I'll be able
AT> to use a fossil driver with Linux - because it appears that a fossil
AT> driver is a prerequisite for Doorway.

You'd run the FOSSIL driver (BNU or X00) inside the virtual DOS environment
you're using

... I have a speech impediment ... my foot.
=== MultiMail/Win v0.51
--- SBBSecho 3.10-Linux
* Origin: Freeway BBS Bendigo,Australia freeway.apana.org.au (3:633/410)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 16:44
Re: MS Visual C++
AI> Yes, bnu or x00 will work for you in those cases where a fossil is
AI> needed. I use x00 with dosemu.

Alana & Tony, thank you. This makes sense to me now.

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Sat, 09.01.21 16:45
Re: MS Visual C++
TL> You'd run the FOSSIL driver (BNU or X00) inside the virtual DOS
TL> environment you're using

Thanks!