Fidonet Portal

From: Richard Menedetter (2:310/31)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 14:18
Great!
Hi Aaron!

03 Jan 2021 18:38, from Aaron Thomas -> Richard Menedetter:

RM>> They try to shove snap down our throats with great force ... do
RM>> not like that!
AT> But you don't really have to use it, do you?

Well ... Ubuntu stops offering non snap packages for some software.
If you want to use that software, it is either use snap or change your distro
to something other than Ubuntu.

AT> I've found Snap to be more helpful. Snap was the only way (that I
AT> could find) to install Android Studio.

For Debian it states, download from official lik, untar, execute.

AT> My concern was copying my Mystic BBS from an Ubuntu machine to a
AT> Debian machine, so I could work on it locally, then copying it back to
AT> the Ubuntu machine when finished - and being able to run it without
AT> any hickups.

I do not use Mystic.
(and I have seen so many critical bugs in it, that I surely never will ...Wink
But if it is statically compiled it should be no isse.
If it is not statically compiled, you need to supply it with the necessary
libraries. (I assume it is static, so copying should work on ANY linux)

AT> But like bebyx said, if they're both using an ext3 file system, it
AT> seems likely to work fine. I'll post back here after I try it.

The file system is completely irrelevant.
As long as linux supports it, you are good to go.

The important thing are the needed libraries.
You can check with ldd.

Here is an output for a dynamically compiled golded:
ricsi@menedetter:~$ ldd /usr/local/sbin/gedlnx
linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffe2a6da000)
libncurses.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libncurses.so.5
(0x00007f67170d1000)
libtinfo.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5
(0x00007f67170a5000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6
(0x00007f6716f21000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f6716d9e000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1
(0x00007f6716d84000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f6716bc3000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f6716bbc000)
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f6717105000)

CU, Ricsi

... The time when patience is most needed is when it is exhausted.
--- GoldED+/LNX
* Origin: Nostalgia is a seductive liar. (2:310/31)