Fidonet Portal

From: Richard Menedetter (2:310/31)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 14:00
Great!
Hi Nicholas!

03 Jan 2021 09:48, from Nicholas Boel -> Richard Menedetter:

RM>> A few days ago I installed Manjaro on my Pinebook Pro.
RM>> It is better supported and they changed their default distro from
RM>> Debian to Manjaro.
NB> I've been using Archlinux for years now and have no reason to change.
NB> However, since Manjaro is based off Archlinux I gave it a looksee and
NB> from what I could tell it looks solid if you're looking for an easy
NB> installer to a full desktop environment. Seems like they did a great
NB> job with it.

Never used arch before, but heard good things.
Main reason was that my HW is a focus for Manjaro.
https://www.pine64.org/pinebook-pro/
The HW has some quirks and Manjaro have dedicated support for it. (Pinebooks
are now delivered with it.Wink
The Previous Debian build was from one guy.
He did a great job, but it was a bit too much for one person.

Anyhow ... I am currently quit happy with it.
But I am still struggling a bit with apt update versus pacman -Syu
I find it highly unintuitive.

I need to take a closer look at desktop distros.
I start to dislike Ubuntu more and more ...
But I am too lazy to look for a better alternative.
Maybe I switch to Kali on the Desktop ...
Do you also use Arch on the Desktop?
How does it compare to Ubuntu on the desktop?

On servers I use Debian, and I am very happy with it.
(I do not mind the older releases it ships with ...Wink

CU, Ricsi

... Such companies give a bad name to the penis enhancement business.
--- GoldED+/LNX
* Origin: Gonna take, a sentamental journey. (2:310/31)