Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (2:221/1.58)
To: All
Date: Tue, 12.01.21 07:08
more covid-related restrictions
In a few hours, officials are slated to announce tigher
restrictions than are already implemented since Dec26 for the
Dec26-Jan23 period for Ontario.

There was originally some consideration for a 8p-5a curfew that
is already going on in most of Quebec, but the curfew option was
taken off the table.

Just shoot us already.

--- OpenXP 5.0.48
* Origin: Mobile? COFFEE_KLATSCH = https://tinyurl.com/y56r9f2o (2:221/1.58)

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Wed, 13.01.21 10:01
Re: more covid-related restrictions
-=> August Abolins wrote to Richard Menedetter <=-

AA> businesses are expected to operate at vastly reduced capacity
AA> for nothing, while big-box stores, parks, professional sports
AA> activities operate as usual.

I keep asking why does the virus not live in walmart but in lives
in small business locations?

Shawn

... Try cooling coffee by holding it closer to your heart.

--- EzyBlueWave V3.00 01FB001F
* Origin: Tiny's BBS - telnet://tinysbbs.com:3023 (1:229/452)

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Thu, 14.01.21 09:25
Re: more covid-related restrictions
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> Meanhile, it is far easier for people to physical-distance from
AA> each other, wear the d*mn mask and slosh sanitizer at my shop
AA> than it might be in a place that is frequented more often by
AA> more people all the time.

Exactly my point. Walmart should not be able to sell books if
you can't. Walmart needs to section off most of it's iles to
ONLY sell food and drugs.

Shawn

... TV Truth: All alien races look like deformed humans.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Fri, 15.01.21 10:04
Re: more covid-related restrictions
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> If for instance, my biz were to be implied to be non-essential,
AA> then the government's expectations for my collecting their
AA> precious sales taxes and my performing any other reporting to
AA> the government should follow as ALSO non-essential! I'm d*mn
AA> serious.

I agree with you here. I haven't filed my GST paperwork yet for
2020. I just stopped. I will do it with my income tax and draw
on my line of credit to pay them. Fair? Nope. But I do it because
I don't want to argue anymore. This country is corrupt and I accept
it now. Soon as the tattoo shops reopen I'm covering my proud to
be Canadian tattoo with black ink.

AA> I was just reminded that there are some new relief programs
AA> specifically intended for businesses now since the famous CERB.

I bet you don't qualify. It's not setup for small business owners
to make it, only for big box stores. (Sorry I'm negative)

Shawn

... Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Mon, 18.01.21 13:41
Re: more covid-related restrictions
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

SH> I will do it with my income tax and draw on my line of
SH> credit to pay them. Fair? Nope. But I do it because I
SH> don't want to argue anymore.
AA> I do pretty much the same thing. When I am short for a
AA> particular quarterly period, I just borrow some money for the
AA> short term until the next quarterly period gives me a credit.

I struggle to pay the rent every month but yet still owe them
lots of money for income tax. I make under min wage when you
break it down. Just can't figure them out. If I made what
socks made I wouldn't pay anything.

Shawn

... After we pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Tue, 19.01.21 13:02
Re: more covid-related restrictions
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> Socks?

The dishonorable prime minister Justin "Look at my socks" Trustfund.

AA> If you're just managing the tax filing on your own right now, it
AA> may be worth getting someone to do the next one for you so that
AA> you do not miss out on any credits and new regulations.

I only do the GST part on my own and this year not even that. I have
a really good accountant who knows all the regulations.

AA> sure you account for every damn thing that relates to an
AA> expense: car wash and supplies, cleaning, safety equipment,
AA> professional dues and fees, etc.

Don't worry about that. Been doing that for years.

AA> So, am I pissed off that the bank just engineered their advise
AA> so that they could just help themselves to $100? Damn right.

I would be too. I don't trust banks and when I did have enough
money to save I saved it in cash and silver in a safe at a
location no one could guess. It now holds only my birth cert and
expired passport as the money and silver has long been spent.

Shawn

... It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail.

From: Shawn Highfield (1:229/452)
To: All
Date: Tue, 26.01.21 10:08
Re: more covid-related restrictions
-=> August Abolins wrote to Shawn Highfield <=-

AA> Unless your accountant is just a bookkeeper, the accountant part
AA> of the process should be able to advise you where you can make
AA> adjustments for improvement.

He does. I've never been happier with an accountant.

AA> that she was retiring. As a result, my reported income was much
AA> higher than it needed to be, and I ended paying unncessary
AA> taxes. I had to borrow to cover it!

Happened to us in 2014, we had a bad accountant and ended up
paying the gubment everything we had scrimped and saved that
year. (We squirrled away $12k that year)

AA> This last year may be the first where I report losses, and no
AA> taxes to pay! (yay).

I'll be paying this year. Mainly due to the income from selling
the shares in my old company.

AA> I've considered a safe too, but to be effective, it would need
AA> to be bolted down. I would also need a fancy painting to hide it
AA> behind. :/

Can be bolted down and hidden in a variety of ways.

AA> There is little to no opportunity to save any dollars. It goes
AA> out almost as fast as it comes in.

That's the truth!

Shawn

... All of life's answers are on the wrong side of progress.

From: Charles Pierson (1:106/127)
To: All
Date: Tue, 26.01.21 07:06
Re: more covid-related restrictions
On 25 Jan 2021, August Abolins said the following...
AA> AA>> If you're just managing the tax filing on your own right
AA> AA>> now, it may be worth getting someone to do the next one
AA>
AA> SH> I only do the GST part on my own and this year not even
AA> SH> that. I have a really good accountant who knows all the
AA> SH> regulations.
AA>
AA> Unless your accountant is just a bookkeeper, the accountant part
AA> of the process should be able to advise you where you can make
AA> adjustments for improvement.
AA>
AA> Look who's talking. My last accountant was a CPA but she did not
AA> offer any practical advise at all. She missed an entire expense
AA> category - that I provided data for - for the last 6 years that
AA> amounted to about $10K. I assumed her work was accurate. I only
AA> found out about her mistake a few months before she announced
AA> that she was retiring. As a result, my reported income was much
AA> higher than it needed to be, and I ended paying unncessary
AA> taxes. I had to borrow to cover it!

I have always done my own taxes. My first wife had a cousin that was an
accountant/book keeper who did most of their families taxes. She was slightly
miffed that I did both my own taxes and those for the business that I was
part owner and sole employee of. So one year I ley her figure my taxrs and I
did as well. She had me owing around $250, plus her fee, I had that I had
overpayed by $1500. So who should do my taxes?

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/08/26 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: theoasisbbs.ddns.net:1357 (1:106/127)