Fidonet Portal

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Mon, 04.01.21 20:19
Detain the Sick
The NY State Assembly has proposed a bill that gives the governor the power to
detain any person who poses a threat to the health and safety of others.

Already passed by the ultra-liberal NY state assembly, the bill is now in the
posession of the NY state senate for legal approval.

In a normal state, meaning a state not run by Andrew Cuomo, this bill wouldn't
have been approved by a state senate, but in NY, anything is possible.

Is this how we want states to handle covid? Lock people up for not wearing a
mask? I don't approve of it.

The state senate's website has a comments section, and I tried to comment
about "the state senate won't advance this bill because it's their job to
protect us from unconstitutional advice from the state assembly."

But whichever very liberal person it is who moderates comments on the state's
website removed that comment. It's not what they are selling.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A45 2020/02/18 (Linux/64)
* Origin: CompuBBS | Ashburn VA | cfbbs.scinet-ftn.org (1:275/99)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:229/426)
To: All
Date: Tue, 05.01.21 15:37
Re: Detain the Sick
FB> I don't understand much about the American Constitution, but is it allowed
FB> a citizen to deliberately harm other people and go unpunished?

This is about citizens who have contracted covid-19, particularly. But how can
someone prove that they spread the virus deliberately? People don't always
know that they have it.

Suppose someone test postive for covid:
They get tested, and the test comes back "positive."
Then they get a call from a Contact Tracer.
The contact tracer tells them "Stay home and quarantine!"
The honest person says "I have to pick up my kid at school!"
The contact tracer reports the honest person to the state.
The honest person goes to jail for "being a threat to the health of others."

No, a citizen can't deliberately harm others & go unpunished, but in this
example I showed you, the parent is harming their child's health by going to
the school to pick the child up, but they are also harming their child's
health if they fail to pick them up from school.

I'm afraid that contradictions like that are going to hurt families.
Judges have very simple minds. But the governor will be viewed as a "hero" by
the media for his "dedication to protecting the health of NYers."

They're already calling him a "hero" for ordering nursing homes to allow
covid-positive patients to enter their facilities, even if the nursing home
doesn't have a means of isolating the infected. To the media, he's "a hero"
because he "stood up for the rights of the elderly covid patients," despite
the fact that his "heroic" decision led to the deaths of thousands of elderly
NYers.

--- Renegade vY2Ka2

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Tue, 05.01.21 18:16
Re: Detain the Sick
AT> Suppose someone test postive for covid:
AT> They get tested, and the test comes back "positive."
AT> Then they get a call from a Contact Tracer.
AT> The contact tracer tells them "Stay home and quarantine!"
AT> The honest person says "I have to pick up my kid at school!"
AT> The contact tracer reports the honest person to the state.

All of this is fine.

AT> The honest person goes to jail for "being a threat to the health of
AT> others."

In America, this will never happen.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2020/11/23 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (1:105/420)

From: Aaron Thomas (1:275/99)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 06:27
Re: Detain the Sick
pl> AT> The honest person goes to jail for "being a threat to the health of
pl> AT> others."
pl>
pl> In America, this will never happen.

Last year NY began a new policy called "No more spending the night in jail." I
think it's ironic that now the governor wants to fill the jails back up, but
only with covid-spreaders.

I hope you're right!

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 20:59
Re: Detain the Sick
LL> Yes. In Louisiana we have the castle law. We can shoot somebody
LL> in cold blood before they enter our house and never get charged with
LL> a crime. Isn't that cool?
LL>
LL> --Lee

Not attacking you, Lee, but... it isn't 'cool'. Its a right that you have in
LA... and in TX, that you should have. And hopefully never have to use. I can't
wrap my head around the 'cool' statement, as it would be horrible to have
someone bleeding out on my tile floor - I mean... I think I get what yer
saying, that its great to have this right.. and I agree. But do challenge you
to not be... so shallow in thought about human life.

The castle law is valid, good and a right. It is never cool, to have to defend
your castle against an intruder... but thank God we live in America, where we
can when needed.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o
|08.........

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A47 2021/01/05 (Raspberry Pi/32)
* Origin: 2o fOr beeRS bbS>>20ForBeers.com:1337 (1:105/420)

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 21:02
Re: Detain the Sick
AT> pl> AT> The honest person goes to jail for "being a threat to the health
AT> pl> AT> others."
AT> pl>
AT> pl> In America, this will never happen.
AT>
AT> Last year NY began a new policy called "No more spending the night in
AT> jail." Ithink it's ironic that now the governor wants to fill the jails
AT> back up, butonly with covid-spreaders.
AT>
AT> I hope you're right!

I'm ignorant on a lot of whats happening in the East. And do understand that
things are very different across our nation. However, out here on the west
coast my words feel true and real.

Scary times...

From: paul lee (1:105/420)
To: All
Date: Wed, 06.01.21 21:07
Re: Detain the Sick
FB> LL> Yes. In Louisiana we have the castle law. We can shoot somebody
FB> LL> in cold blood before they enter our house and never get charged with
FB> LL> a crime. Isn't that cool?
FB>
FB> You Americans are really weird.

Not all of us. Freedom does allow for many different types of people to have
opinions and actions concerning their freedoms, here.

Its great that [I believe] that majority are still God-fearing, loving and
caring individuals... who don't want to shoot someone because they can. But
that freedom enables the ideals of EVERYONE to come to fruition. I'm not
speaking of the OP, now, but... in this covid and very divisive time in our
nation, it has been a challenge to stand shoulder to shoulder with Americans
who have different values than I.