Fidonet Portal

From: Martin Foster (2:310/31.3)
To: All
Date: Sat, 02.01.21 13:59
Fidonet Reference Library(FSC's)
Hello Carol!

*** Friday 01.01.21 at 12:16, Carol Shenkenberger wrote to Martin Foster:

[snip]
>> [1]Is there any record anywhere of the reason(s) why these proposals
>> were rejected?
>>
>> [2]Is a software developer permitted to implement any of these
>> rejected proposals in his/her software?
>>
>> [3]Am I correct in assuming that the FSP's are proposals awaiting
>> either acceptance or rejection by the FTSC?

CS> 3 is correct. Many of them are NEVER picked up so never become a
CS> standard.

OK, fine.

CS> 2 is also correct. Any developer can chose to run with them
CS> but they may find if not compatible with others (and is something that
CS> has to be), then it doesn't work.

OK, fine.

I have another question Smile

If a developer chooses to implement one of the FSC's, is it then at
the discretion of other software developers to provide support(or not)
for the implementation in their own software?

CS> 1 is a 'no'. There is no tracking on just why something someone
CS> proposed, never made standard.

OK, fine.

CS> The FTSC doesn't 'reject proposals'. They vote on existing ones that are
CS> in use by enough to be a standard.

Ah, by "enough", do you mean in widespread use or what?

Regards,
Martin

--- OpenXP 5.0.48
* Origin: Bitz-Box - Bradford - UK (2:310/31.3)