Fidonet Portal

From: August Abolins (2:221/1.58)
To: All
Date: Sun, 20.12.20 22:48
refreshing to see what we used to be worried about back then
Hello Kurt!

** On Friday 04.12.20 - 07:01, Kurt Weiske wrote to August Abolins:

KW> "The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the
KW> Electronic Frontier" by Bruce Sterling - both books I've
KW> read a long time ago.

[snip]

KW> "The Hacker Crackdown" is an interesting walk down
KW> memory lane chronicling the late 20th century, the rise
KW> of BBSes and electronic law, and the rise of digital
KW> civil libertarians.

Both of those remind me of:

Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's
Most Wanted Computer Outlaw--By the Man Who Did It - Tsutomo
Shimomura (1996)

It described a lot of the technical tricks that both friend
and foe utilized.

Some say that is primarily a tale of an overzealous agent, and
some false accusations about certain hacks.

I haven't read the folling..

The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick - Jonathan Littman
(1997)

..but I hear that it is more balanced than Takedown.

There is also..

Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted
Hacker - Kevin Mitnick, William L Simon, Steve Wozniak (2012)

It's about the same tale but from Mitnick's pov many years
later.

KW> It's almost refreshing to see what we used to be worried
KW> about back then, compared to now. Sad

Now, it seems we have far more to be worried about! I
recently got a notice about a class action suit brought
against the Bank of Montreal (with which I have an account)
informing me that the bank was indeed breached at some point
and various details of user accounts were accessed. As
compensation, the court has ruled that there there will be a
payout to those affected. There were 4 levels of breach, 1
being the highest and therefore fetching the highest $'s in
compensation in the 4-figures. My account was classed in the
3rd level and fetching a $90 payout. :/

--
../|ug

--- OpenXP 5.0.47