Fidonet Portal

From: Kai Richter (2:240/77)
To: All
Date: Fri, 04.12.20 06:38
i've been duped ... or was i?
Hello Maurice!

03 Dec 20, Maurice Kinal wrote to Kai Richter:

MK> For my part I am attempting to make 1:153/7001 a potential wireless
MK> access point for offline readers and am going to keep everything to a
MK> bare minimum.

Offline Readers is a another chapter and i do not know much about that.

MK> So far it looks like only the MSGID is required to successfully
MK> transverse the whole of fidonet. Thus a point-like setup between
MK> 1:153/7001 and any user on the wireless should have the user's app
MK> generate it's own MSGID that will ensure uniqueness no matter if
MK> another user on the wireless generates the EXACT same serialno since
MK> the origaddr will ensure uniqueness due to the point part of the
MK> origaddr.

As far as i remember offline readers like QWK are an interface to a BBS and act
like online BBS users. And like online BBS users they are operating with the
main aka of the BBS.

MK> This isn't that far off from a numbered userbase on a BBS where by
MK> default the sysop is listed as number 1.

I can't remember how QWK uses the usernumber index. Maybe that was part of the
BBS responsibilties.

MK> Thus whether universal or AREA based any half-assed dupechecker
MK> should have no issues with the output.

MK> For the record I am using the "^AMSGID: origaddr serialno" format as
MK> specified in fts-0009.001.

If you're going to use point numbers then you do not have an offline reader -
it's a point software. "Offline reader" could be used even for fully featured
node systems too, just because fidonet is an offline network. It's basics are
store and forward if connected and disconnect after packages sent.

Regards

Kai

--- GoldED+/LNX 1.1.4.7
* Origin: Monobox (2:240/77)