Fidonet Portal

From: Roy Witt (1:387/22)
To: All
Date: Tue, 18.12.12 10:54
some
Bre'r alexander koryagin wrote about RE:some to Bre'r All:

ak> From: "alexander koryagin"

ak> Hello, All!

ak> From THE FIRST MEN IN THE MOON
ak> by H. G. Wells:

ak> =========Beginning of the citation==============
ak> Why had we come to the moon? The thing presented itself to me as
ak> a perplexing problem. What is this spirit in man that urges him for
ak> ever to depart from happiness and security, to toil, to place
ak> himself in danger, to risk even a reasonable certainty of death? It
ak> dawned upon me up there in the moon as a thing I ought always to
ak> have known, that man is not made simply to go about being safe and
ak> comfortable and well fed and amused. Almost any man, if you put the
ak> thing to him, not in words, but in the shape of opportunities, will
ak> show that he knob as much. Against his interest, against his
ak> happiness, he is constantly being driven to do unreasonable
ak> things. Some force not himself impels him, and go he must. But why?
ak> Why?
ak> =========The end of the citation================

ak> "Almost any man, if you put the thing to him, not in words, but in
ak> the shape of opportunities, will show that he knob as much."

ak> What does it mean "will show that he knob as much."?

ak> PS: besides, let chew it out a bit more:

ak> Almost any man... (GW speaks of a single man.Wink
ak> ... will show that he knob as much. (I don't know what "knob" means,
ak> it seems that it is a verb and it must be "knobs"??Wink

The word is a misspelled 'knew' - "will show that he knew as much."

R\%/itt - K5RXT/887 - 3 DAYS

The End of the World!

Amateur Radio Station K5RXT, having registered on the N0D website,
www.nowzerodays.com, is hereby designated Official N0D Doomsday Radio
Station Number 887 - a member of the Doomsday Special Event Network
for as long as we last!

--- Ya have ta ask yourself: What Would Roy Witt Do?
* Origin: Texas Lone-Star - Texan, American, USAian (1:387/22)

From: Paul Quinn (2:5020/848.321)
To: All
Date: Wed, 19.12.12 01:16
Re: some
Hi! alexander,

(I have not seen this message [and possibly others] on my own Fidonet
station.Wink

On 18/12/12 16:59, you wrote:

> ... will show that he knob as much. (I don't know what "knob" means, it seems
that it is a verb and it must be "knobs"??Wink

It is a typographical error. I found myself at the Gutenberg project
website (gutenberg.org) and viewed the UTF-8 text version of the book,
and then printed a copy to a .PDF file to read later. Smile

Here is their version of that paragraph...

-----8<-----C-U-T--H-E-R-E----->8-----
> Why had we come to the moon?

> The thing presented itself to me as a perplexing problem. What is this
> spirit in man that urges him for ever to depart from happiness and
> security, to toil, to place himself in danger, to risk even a reasonable
> certainty of death? It dawned upon me up there in the moon as a thing I
> ought always to have known, that man is not made simply to go about being
> safe and comfortable and well fed and amused. Almost any man, if you put
> the thing to him, not in words, but in the shape of opportunities, will
> show that he knows as much. Against his interest, against his happiness, he
> is constantly being driven to do unreasonable things. Some force not
> himself impels him, and go he must. But why? Why? Sitting there in the
> midst of that useless moon gold, amidst the things of another world, I
> took count of all my life. Assuming I was to die a castaway upon the moon,
> I failed altogether to see what purpose I had served. I got no light on
> that point, but at any rate it was clearer to me than it had ever been in
> my life before that I was not serving my own purpose, that all my life I
> had in truth never served the purposes of my private life. Whose purposes,
> what purposes, was I serving? ... I ceased to speculate on why we had come
> to the moon, and took a wider sweep. Why had I come to the earth? Why had
> I a private life at all? ... I lost myself at last in bottomless
> speculations....

No mystery now. Other than how some certain 18th century artifacts
were located on the dark side of the moon, in a Stanley Kubrick film. Smile

Hope it helps you.

Cheers,
Paul.

--- NodeX Gate Services