Fidonet Portal

From: Charles Pierson (1:229/426.67)
To: All
Date: Thu, 19.11.20 21:43
Graphic Novel
Hello, August Abolins.
On 11/19/20 12:10 AM you wrote:

AA> Hello Charles! ** On Wednesday 18.11.20 - 21:45, Charles Pierson
AA> wrote to August Abolins:
CP>> I know the price is from the publisher. I understand how all of
CP>> that works. I have been on enough writers mail lists to pick up
CP>> on that. My point is still valid. They set the price because
CP>> there are people that will pay that price.
AA> The retail price for the new vanity book by Barack Obama is set
AA> at $55CDN. I have people resisting to pay the full price
AA> because they boast that Amazon is selling for $20. Are you
AA> suggesting that it is therefore poor business choice to stock
AA> the book if I am not willing to sell at the same loss as Amazon?

I would guess that you have had your business for a while, and that you know
your customers and their buying habits.

So I am pretty sure, minimum order quantities and the like aside, you don't
stock more than you believe you will sell in a reasonable time frame, nor an
amount that will leave you stuck with a ridiculous inventory tax when that
comes due.

AA>>> shops have simply given up - and far too early IMHO - when the
AA>>> the ereader was introduced around year 2006.
CP>> Here, I think B&N chased everyone off.
AA> I think if some of the independents had rallied together (for
AA> support and promotional ideas) they might still be around.

It's possible. It's also possible other factors might have affected things.

AA>>> ..The total startup cost is substantial - for me. There are
AA>>> yearly fees to keep the system going.
CP>> I've looked into online stores. It's painful.
AA> The covid lockdown has not helped the matter. It has driven me
AA> into 5-figures of debt - instantly. It is not an easy peasy
AA> solution to just pay for and configure an online presence
AA> overnight.

I know it isn't. As I've said, I have looked into it some for my own purposes,
and there is no way I could manage it in the current environment.

AA>>> Explain to me how could I sell at below cost (to compete with
AA>>> the 4-letter companies) and maintain the fees for an online
AA>>> ordering system.
CP>> You can't you can't do their volume.
AA> Ah.. there is another misconception. I *can* do the volume of
AA> the big guys if I wanted. First, I would need extended storage.
AA> Then, I can send back the copies that do not sell (within a
AA> deadline set by the publisher.Wink In truth, Amazon is making
AA> money from other products, not the books. They are simply
AA> undercutting the traditional independent book store, upselling
AA> memberships for their music/movie streaming, the yearly fee
AA> membership for even more apparent discounts and free shipping,
AA> and simply returning unsold copies to the publishers.

Not so much a misconception, as an oversimplification.

Currently, as your business stands, you aren't equipped to do the volume of the
big guys. That's what I meant. Not that you could never do so.

And yes Amazon and the like do a huge range of goods and services to offset
selling items at a loss that for the most part independent stores can't do.

--
Best regards!
Posted using Hotdoged on Android