Fidonet Portal

From: Charles Pierson (1:153/757.26)
To: All
Date: Wed, 18.11.20 22:45
Graphic Novel
Hello, August Abolins.
On 11/18/20 9:42 PM you wrote:

AA> Hello Charles! ** On Wednesday 18.11.20 - 19:36, Charles Pierson
AA> wrote to August Abolins:
CP>> Then they either learn better pricing, or hold too much
CP>> inventory.
AA> Charles.. the price is "fixed" by the publisher. Stores, like
AA> mine, pay for stock according to THAT price. When Amazon or
AA> Indigo sell at 40% or more off, they are not earning anything. I
AA> have seen Amazon/Indigo invoices sent to me in error. I know
AA> what "deals" they may be getting.

I know the price is from the publisher. I understand how all of that works. I
have been on enough writers mail lists to pick up on that.

My point is still valid. They set the price because there are people that will
pay that price.

CP>> I was joking of course. I PREFER local shops when available, but
CP>> you've seen yourself an idea of especially with bookshops, that
CP>> is near me.
AA> Local book shops are not ubquitous in every town. They are
AA> often more successful in larger communities. But many of those
AA> shops have simply given up - and far too early IMHO - when the
AA> the ereader was introduced around year 2006.

Here, I think B&N chased everyone off.

AA> I use online shoping when it is best too. I have explored building
AA> an online ordering/shopping system for my shop. The only tool
AA> that makes the most sense is the one at Bookmanager. (I'll
AA> avoid the link, because that would break "Fidonet being
AA> Fidonet".Wink If/when you find it, explore the pricing. To gain the
AA> web storefront requires mandatory modules. The total startup
AA> cost is substantial - for me. There are yearly fees to keep the
AA> system going.

I've looked into online stores. It's painful.

AA> Explain to me how could I sell at below cost (to compete with
AA> the 4-letter companies) and maintain the fees for an online
AA> ordering system.

You can't you can't do their volume.

--
Best regards!