Fidonet Portal

From: Robin Karel Popper Alias Hajek (2:420/33)
To: All
Date: Wed, 15.01.20 22:06
2020
Hi, Holger!

HG>> I don't understand why you are using all those external programs
HG>> when almost everything is built-in into PCBoard.

RH>> The reason is simple. I only started with FidoNet and FrontDor and
RH>> the necessary external programs. Only a year or two later I bought
RH>> a PCBoard and used FrontDoor as a boot for PCBoard.

HG> OK, I have only used FrontDoor APX (FDAPX) on my office and laptop
HG> machines and that one doesn't require any external programs.

FDAPX is a breeze, it can't run PCBoard, and if there's a coordinator in
Fidonet, it can't use it and doesn't work in 64 bit.

HG> Interesting. I have also considered either eCS or the one called
HG> BlueLion

eCS and BlueLion are only slightly upgraded Warp. Kernel is still the same
Sad But I love OS / 2 and so mmsm eCS even though it is not cheap Sad

RH>> I understand, but I've never used PCBard alone and for FidoNet.
RH>> It has always been just a bulletin board, so I have no experience
RH>> connecting PCBoard to the Internet independently without FrontDoor

RH>> Yes, BinkD is the only option today because Telnet and port 23 are
RH>> useless today Sad

HG> You don't have to use port 23. You can use port 2023 instead.

I worked for a long time and I couldn't persuade SIO and VM. Finally, Tomi
from Belgium advised me, and FrontDoor dials through port 2030, but we didn't
solve it to accept calls as well.

Bye
Robin

--- GEcho 1.20/KLF Team
* Origin: POPPER Univerzal BBS (FidoNet), Praha, BOHEMIA & MORAVIA (2:420/33)