Fidonet Portal

From: Ozz Nixon (1:1/123)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 26.06.19 00:08
PCBTerm - Features.
To help support ANSI standards more correctly:

1. ClrScr has option NOT to home cursor. Per ANSI Standard CSI 2J
clears screen but does not actually home cursor, that is reserved for
CSI H.

2. Since this is an instruction by intruction redesign, ClrScr can use
an alternative to 0x20 (#32), great for those RA looking applications.

3. Implemented ClrEop - Clear from cursor to end of screen CSI 0J.
Along with the reverse, CSI 1J.

4. ClrEol has option to clear whole line CSI 2K, standard Eol CSI K or
CSI 0K, and reverse via CSI 1K.

5. Scrolling - CSI S, scroll screen by adding blank line(s) at the
bottom. Cursor DOES NOT move. And CSI T, scroll screen by adding blank
line(s) at the top. Again Cursor DOES NOT move.

Standard Cursor Controls are implemented:
CSI H - basically a GOTO Y/X
CSI A - Cursor Up (n lines)
CSI B - Cursor Down (n lines) - does not move beyond screen ROWS
CSI C - Cursor Forward (n columns) - does not move beyond screen COLS
CSI D - Cursor Back (n colums) - does not wrap when going more the column 1

CSI E - Cursor to X=1 on next Y (n lines)
CSI F - Cursor to X=1 on previous Y (n lines)

CSI G - Cursor to X=n on current line

CSI s - Save Cursor Position
CSI r - Restore Cursor Position
CSI 6n - Return ESC[Y;XR (returns X and Y)

CSI 5i - Instead of serial printer, starts clipboard capture (text only)
CSI 4i - finishes clipboard capture (to be saved, or recalled)
* I am working on extending 4i/5i - to basically be "Save Screen" - do
changes, or drop down, etc. then "Restore Screen". Improving ANSI
support of drop down menu systems, or popup dialogs.

I finished implemented "Cursor Modifications":
Hide Cursor
Show Cursor
Cursor Size (Small Block, Full Block, I-Beam)
(*)NEW(*) Cursor Color (24bit 16 million colors)
Cursor Border Color
Cursor Border Size (in Pixel)
Blink Fast
Blink Normal
Blink Slow
No Blink

Working on Font Swapping, and Zoom in/out, then I might add scroll back
support (anyone think of a reason to need that besides long ANSI?Wink...

Currently testing my CP437 to UTF8 mapping - for 8bit graphics with
standard fonts... get to pointer errors for some reason, not using
pointers. So it must be in the RTL code of LCL.

Ozz

--- ExchangeBBS NNTP Server v3.1/Linux64
* Origin: (1:1/123)

From: Holger Granholm (2:20/228)
To: n/a
Date: Thu, 27.06.19 13:32
Re: PCBTerm - Features.
In a message on 06-25-19 Ozz Nixon said to All:

Hi Ozz,

ON> To help support ANSI standards more correctly:

ON> 1. ClrScr has option NOT to home cursor. Per ANSI Standard CSI 2J
ON> clears screen but does not actually home cursor, that is reserved
ON> for CSI H.

For the uninformed: What does 'CSI' stand for.

ON> Currently testing my CP437 to UTF8 mapping - for 8bit graphics with
ON> standard fonts... get to pointer errors for some reason, not using
ON> pointers. So it must be in the RTL code of LCL.

Very good.

Are there any plans for an OS/2 (eComSt or ArcaOS) version?
I'm too old to change operating system and I love my OS/2 and DOS prgms.

Have a good night,

Holger

.. OS/2 is 25 years old; dead but still walking!
-- MR/2 2.30

--- PCBoard (R) v15.22 (OS/2) 2
* Origin: Coming to you from the Sunny Aland Islands. (2:20/228)

From: Ozz Nixon (1:1/123)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 28.06.19 23:04
Re: PCBTerm - Features.
On 2019-06-27 11:32:00 +0000, Holger Granholm -> Ozz Nixon said:

> In a message on 06-25-19 Ozz Nixon said to All:
>
> Hi Ozz,
>
> ON> To help support ANSI standards more correctly:
>
> ON> 1. ClrScr has option NOT to home cursor. Per ANSI Standard CSI 2J
> ON> clears screen but does not actually home cursor, that is reserved
> ON> for CSI H.
>
> For the uninformed: What does 'CSI' stand for.

ESC [

CSI - Control Sequence Introducer

> ON> Currently testing my CP437 to UTF8 mapping - for 8bit graphics with
> ON> standard fonts... get to pointer errors for some reason, not using
> ON> pointers. So it must be in the RTL code of LCL.
>
> Very good.

It makes my life sooo much easier, especially as the computer on
certain platforms is Unicode only. So, those of us (Americans mainly)
can still design and think IBM old school ;-p""""""

> Are there any plans for an OS/2 (eComSt or ArcaOS) version?
> I'm too old to change operating system and I love my OS/2 and DOS prgms.

If you guys can help me get a VM working with OS/2, I will port the
compiler over. I have an old VPascal, so I can use it to start the
builds until it self-builds on OS/2.

I may even look at Serial support - or a serial -> TCP gateway native
to the OS/2 build.

Ozz aka SqZ

From: Holger Granholm (2:20/228)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 01.07.19 23:46
Re: PCBTerm - Features.
In a message on 06-28-19 Ozz Nixon said to Holger Granholm:

Good evening Ozz

Excuse me for the delayed reply but got some extra work to do.

> ON> clears screen but does not actually home cursor, that is reserved
> ON> for CSI H.

> For the uninformed: What does 'CSI' stand for.

ON> ESC [

ON> CSI - Control Sequence Introducer

Thanks Ozz. One command I'm missing is the possibility to center the
mouse pointer. My node windows are blue background and the pointer is
black with white edges. I have played with the idea of remaking a new
one but haven't come round'to'it yet.

> ON> Currently testing my CP437 to UTF8 mapping - ........

That's the extra work I had to do. Received a bulletin in UTF code and
had to translate the UTF codes manually to PC8 (cp437/450).

I have built-in conversion functions for Asc7/Asc8, Lat1/Asc8, Html/Asc8
and Mac/Asc8 both ways but when I did the programming UTF wasn't invented
yet.

It's not only all the umlaut character that are used in europe but also
various other characters like apostrophe, short and long dashes etc.

I do have a list of all characters in UTF and their decimal equivalents
but have still to reprogram the editor. The Asc7/Asc8 conversions will
be replaced with the UTF/Asc8 conversions.

ON> It makes my life sooo much easier, especially as the computer on
ON> certain platforms is Unicode only. So, those of us (Americans
ON> mainly) can still design and think IBM old school ;-p""""""

It's not only you Americans that can design in IBM old school.
I had to learn programming because my first machine was a Sinclair ZX81
with Z-80 cpu. If I wanted to make programs snappier and larger than 16
kb RAM allowed I had learn assembly coding because that Basic of that
machine was very good but limited.

After updating to a CP/M machine I started programming in TurboPascal and

ON> If you guys can help me get a VM working with OS/2, I will port the
ON> compiler over. I have an old VPascal, so I can use it to start the
ON> builds until it self-builds on OS/2.

I have avoided running any VM machine under Windows because I don't trust
it to run a BBS and my OS/2 machines don't need any VM's to run a BBS.

I'm extremely happy with my choice of PCBoard, from v14.5 and the the
updates through various versions until the v15.2 that brought OS/2 files
to replace many of the DOS ones.

After that I haven't looked back at the Desqview installation I had.

ON> I may even look at Serial support - or a serial -> TCP gateway
ON> native to the OS/2 build.

I'm investigating the VMODEM so that I can get this machine on WiFi.

Have a good night,

Holger

.. "I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it."

From: Ozz Nixon (1:1/123)
To: n/a
Date: Sun, 07.07.19 17:16
Re: PCBTerm - Features.
On 2019-07-01 21:46:00 +0000, Holger Granholm -> Ozz Nixon said:

> That's the extra work I had to do. Received a bulletin in UTF code and
> had to translate the UTF codes manually to PC8 (cp437/450).
>
> I have built-in conversion functions for Asc7/Asc8, Lat1/Asc8, Html/Asc8
> and Mac/Asc8 both ways but when I did the programming UTF wasn't invented
> yet.

Hmmm, those sound interesting!

> [snipped]
> It's not only you Americans that can design in IBM old school.
> I had to learn programming because my first machine was a Sinclair ZX81
> with Z-80 cpu. If I wanted to make programs snappier and larger than 16
> kb RAM allowed I had learn assembly coding because that Basic of that
> machine was very good but limited.
>
> After updating to a CP/M machine I started programming in TurboPascal and

I started out on old Tandy Model II, then I, III, 4, 4p, 1000, CP/M
Molecular (running MP/M for 4 terminals), then IBM and Clones in the XT
era. The Model I, is when I wrote my first BBS... Model II ran Xenix,
so, it was kinda like a BBS in itself - haha.

> [Snipped]
> ON> I may even look at Serial support - or a serial -> TCP gateway
> ON> native to the OS/2 build.
>
> I'm investigating the VMODEM so that I can get this machine on WiFi.

Good luck with that!! If I could at least get WiFi or Eth working, OS/2
would be more interesting.

From: Holger Granholm (2:20/228)
To: n/a
Date: Fri, 19.07.19 22:01
Re: PCBTerm - Features.
In a message on 07-07-19 Ozz Nixon said to Holger Granholm:

Hi Ozz,

> I'm investigating the VMODEM so that I can get this machine on WiFi.

ON> Good luck with that!! If I could at least get WiFi or Eth working,
ON> OS/2 would be more interesting.

Excuse the delay. I've been two times hospitalized.
First for a correction of the blood flow to my feet, that was successful

A week later I had to go back for surgery again because the surgeon had
inserted a by-pass btwn right and left legs, made of artificial material
that my body didn't accept.

Now he had to pick a vein from my body and so far it seems OK.
i was just today released from the hospital.

About WiFi: For my stationary Windows machine I'm using an ASUS USB-N13
(For 802.11 b/g/n Wireless Networks).
It works very well as a replacement for the built-in antenna in laptops.

I don't really believe that I can use that for OS/2 because it's made
for Windows, but maybe something similar.

Have a nice day,

Holger

.. Alzheimer's advantage: you only need to own one book.