Fidonet Portal

From: Charles Pierson (1:154/10)
To: All
Date: Wed, 11.11.20 15:33
Counting votes
Hello, Gerhard Strangar -> All.
On 11/11/20 7:01 PM you wrote:

> High, I just read that Georgia needs to recount all votes manually
> and I wonder what manually is supposed to mean. Do they otherwise
> use machines? If so, why does it take so long? In Germany, the
> polling stations close at 18:00 and we usually get the manually
> counted preliminary results between 22:00 and 23:00 on that same
> day. And I cannot remember any election where the final results
> changed noteworthy.

There are multiple ways voting is done, and multiple ways they get
counted. It depends on the state.

This year, it was more complicated because of a larger number of mail in
ballots than normal.

But many states I believe, if the first count is extremely close like
1-2% I think requires an automatic recount.

> What happens if multiple recounting two parties/candidates have
> exactly the same number of votes? Do you hold a second election or
> flip a coin?

It depends on each states election laws and which office it is for.

Regardless of what you might see, there often are more people on the
Ballot than the Democrat and Republican candidates. They generally
don't get much exposure, nor have the huge budgets, but they are there.

Leaving the Presidential election aside, because it's its own
monstrosity.
A Senate race, for example, might require a majority of votes to be
declared winner. A simple majority is 51%. If you have other
candidates, smaller party or independent, in the race it is possible for
no one to get 51% of the vote. In that case, there is going to be a run
off election at a later date between the top vote getters.

With the President, again depending on the state, the popular vote is
supposed to indicate which candidate gets the Electoral College votes
for that state. Most states, I believe are winner take all, meaning
whoever gets the most popular votes get all of the Electoral votes for
that state. Some states might, or at least did, could split the
Electoral votes.

--
Best regards!
Posted using Hotdoged on Android

--- HotdogEd/2.13.5 (Android; Google Android; rv:1) Hotdoged/1596877233000 Hotd
* Origin: thePharcyde_ distribution system (1:154/10)

From: Dale Shipp (1:261/1466)
To: All
Date: Fri, 13.11.20 02:34
Re: Counting votes
-=> On 11-12-20 07:00, Charles Pierson <=-
-=> spoke to Gerhard Strangar about Counting votes <=-

CP> I mean, I can understand not wanting to go be in a large crowd on
CP> election day to vote. However, with the early voting option, I had
CP> many family members all over the country go vote in person without
CP> crowds.

There were crowds at many of the early voting places also. I saw
reports of six hour waits at some. That was in larger towns, e.g.
Houston.

CP> I simply don't trust the mail enough to be 100% confident my ballot
CP> wouldn't get lost accidentally, let alone any potential fraud. I've
CP> had too many instances of mail not mine being delivered to my address
CP> to feel otherwise, and not just my neighbors, but mail for addresses
CP> not in my neighborhood.

I did not trust the mail either, especially after seeing all that Trump
and his appointees were doing to muck up the post office. There was a
third option, which I used. Drop boxes where you could place your mail
in ballot.

Dale Shipp
fido_261_1466 (at) verizon (dot) net
(1:261/1466)

... Shipwrecked in Silver Spring, Maryland. 01:21:39, 13 Nov 2020
___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.30

--- Maximus/NT 3.01
* Origin: Owl's Anchor (1:261/1466)

From: Dan Cross (3:770/100)
To: All
Date: Sat, 14.11.20 10:34
Re: Counting votes
On 12 Nov 2020 at 06:24p, Gerhard Strangar pondered and said...

GS> I've heard of people waiting in line for over an hour. But what's going
GS> on there? Our polling stations are open on Sundays from 8:00 to 18:00
GS> hours with 500-1000 voters per station and I'd say they're pretty much
GS> equipartitioned over time. Only when church is out there might be up to
GS> 20 people at once, but I don't think it takes more than five minutes for
GS> all of them to vote.

What's going on is that the American right has realized that it
is a dying minority, and the only way it can hang onto power is
via nefarious means. Thus, they will try and disenfranchise
voters or otherwise use authoritarian tactics in desperate (and,
frankly, pathetic) bids to stay relevant. Reducing the number
of polling stations, making it harder for people (particularly
Black and Brown people), gerrymandering congressional districts
to give them an edge in the legislature even though they're strictly
a minority most places.... That's what leads to these absurdly
long lines etc.

* Origin: Agency BBS | Dunedin, New Zealand | agency.bbs.nz (3:770/100)

From: TIM RICHARDSON (1:123/140)
To: All
Date: Sat, 14.11.20 19:15
Re: Counting votes
On 11-13-20, DALE SHIPP said to CHARLES PIERSON:

-=> On 11-12-20 07:00, Charles Pierson <=-
-=> spoke to Gerhard Strangar about Counting votes <=-

CP> I simply don't trust the mail enough to be 100% confident my ballot
CP> wouldn't get lost accidentally, let alone any potential fraud. I've
CP> had too many instances of mail not mine being delivered to my address
CP> to feel otherwise, and not just my neighbors, but mail for addresses
CP> not in my neighborhood.

DS>I did not trust the mail either, especially after seeing all that Trump
DS>and his appointees were doing to muck up the post office.

The only `muck up the post office' that took place was leftie mail carriers
throwing away mail-in ballots....and postal supervisors ordering employees to
mark mail-in ballots recieved late, as having been recieved on time.

Tagline;

"The party that;

Continually attacked Trump for four years;

Smeared his family no end;

Ran with the Russian hoax and false impeachment;

Called Trump supporters vile names;

Wished death on him when he had Covid;

Dragged his Supreme Court nominees through the mud;

Now want us all to `unite'!

Good luck with that one!

---
*Durango b301 #PE*
* Origin: Fido Since 1991 | QWK by Web | BBS.FIDOSYSOP.ORG (1:123/140)