Fidonet Portal

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12.73)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 29.10.18 14:02
No compression to one node
On 2018 Oct 29 11:19:02, you wrote to All:

MarcL> How do I set Squish to not compress packets for one particular
MarcL> node?

i don't know and apparently others also do not... i know that several squish
using systems linked here are sending bundles for echomail instead of raw
PKTs... some send netmail in a bundle and others have figured out a way to send
netmail as PKTs...

)\/(ark

Always Mount a Scratch Monkey
Do you manage your own servers? If you are not running an IDS/IPS yer doin' it
wrong...
... How Not To Be Seen, lesson 5. Don't stand up.
---
* Origin: (1:3634/12.73)

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 29.10.18 21:04
Re: No compression to one node
Hello Torsten.

TB> 29.10.2018 11:19, Marc Lewis schrieb an All:

ML> How do I set Squish to not compress packets for one particular node?
TB> Netmail or echomail?

Thank you for your reply!

He would prefer to receive everything uncompressed, but I'm not sure that
Squish can do this.

Marc

--- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
* Origin: Sursum Corda! BBS-Huntsville,AL-bbs.sursum-corda.com (1:396/45)

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 29.10.18 20:10
RE: No compression to one node
Hello mark.

MarcL> How do I set Squish to not compress packets for one particular
MarcL> node?

ml> i don't know and apparently others also do not... i know that
ml> several squish using systems linked here are sending bundles for
ml> echomail instead of raw PKTs... some send netmail in a bundle and
ml> others have figured out a way to send netmail as PKTs...

I'll keep digging to see if I can find something in the docs. Why this
particular node prefers to receive data uncompressed is, how shall I say it,
unconventional?

Best regards,

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: n/a
Date: Mon, 29.10.18 20:14
Re: No compression to one node
Hello Sean.

ML> How do I set Squish to not compress packets for one particular node?

SD> Let me dig up my Squish config file from backup tonight. Squish
SD> does have a way to do this IIRC correctly in the config file and
SD> using the ROUTE.CFG file.

I did a quick scan of the Squish.doc but didn't spot anything yet. Sad
Hopefully you'll run across something. I've got another issue with packet
passwords, but that's going to be another thread...

From: mark lewis (1:3634/12)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 30.10.18 10:47
RE: No compression to one node
Re: RE: No compression to one node
By: Marc Lewis to mark lewis on Mon Oct 29 2018 19:10:46

markl> i don't know and apparently others also do not... i know that
markl> several squish using systems linked here are sending bundles for
markl> echomail instead of raw PKTs... some send netmail in a bundle and
markl> others have figured out a way to send netmail as PKTs...

MarcL> I'll keep digging to see if I can find something in the docs. Why
MarcL> this particular node prefers to receive data uncompressed is, how
MarcL> shall I say it, unconventional?

ummm... it is not really unconventional... i've been doing raw PKTs here for
years on my old FD/RA/FE system... i'm doing it now with this new synchronet
installation... on the old system, one of the initial mail tossing actions was
to first extract all the bundles to raw PKTs... that was done via a tool known
as SPAZ... the mail tosser never saw any bundles and all of my links were set
to no archiver so they got raw PKTs... one or two switched the archiver back to
zip and i switched it right back to none... even on a fast machine, the time
spent to archive PKTs into mail bundles is just wasted time...

there really is no reason for archiving PKTs into mail bundles these days... it
was done in the past mainly to shorten the connection time since that cost real
$$$... in today's world, this isn't a concern... then one can also factor in
that the server can compress on the fly during transmission and bundles are
just not necessary...

)\/(ark
--- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
* Origin: SouthEast Star Mail HUB - SESTAR (1:3634/12)

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: n/a
Date: Tue, 30.10.18 20:08
Re: No compression to one node
Hello Torsten.

ML> He would prefer to receive everything uncompressed, but I'm not sure
ML> that Squish can do this.
TB> Well, no, squish can't sent echomail uncompressed by default. But,
TB> if you define a different squish.cfg witout any packer defintions,
TB> all pakets will be uncompressed.

After reading throught the documentation, this is the same conclusion I came
to. But switching back and forth for one Node would be, at best, impractical.

TB> If you want to sent netmail without compression, do a 'squish out'
TB> without 'squash'.

Yes, and the same is true for an EchoMail outbound scan, but the outbound
directory would become a nightmare. It's a Binkley style outbound and Binkley
doesn't recognise uncompressed packets IIRC; Internet Rex does, but tends to
miss some from time-to-time.

TB> Compressing mail was one of the main features of squish.

Indeed. It was, if I'm not mistaken, one of the first tossers that did it
automatically, first to the FidoNet ARC standard, then expanding out to handle
multiple archivers/unarchivers.

MarK Lewis pointed out that now-a-days it hardly makes sense to waste compute
cycles to archive outbound packets due to the connectivity via the internet now
commonly utilised; but still, there are traditional Binkley based mailers that
require compressed mail bundles with their attendant .?LO files. I still have
users that come in over POTS line and get their mail and others that telnet
into the system to Binkley and pick up mail that way. I'm just going to leave
everything alone... It's been working for the last 25 years with few major
failures. Smile

TB> Possibly hpt/fastecho can handle uncompressed mail, but I really
TB> don't know this, because im not using one of them.

Every one that I can think of does so, in fact, I believe it's an FTS
requirement.

From: Rob Swindell (1:103/705)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 31.10.18 05:33
Re: No compression to one node
Re: Re: No compression to one node
By: Marc Lewis to Torsten Bamberg on Tue Oct 30 2018 07:08 pm

> TB> If you want to sent netmail without compression, do a 'squish out'
> TB> without 'squash'.
>
> Yes, and the same is true for an EchoMail outbound scan, but the outbound
> directory would become a nightmare. It's a Binkley style outbound and
> Binkley doesn't recognise uncompressed packets IIRC;

BSO recognizes/supports uncompressed packets (e.g. outbound/*.out) just fine.

> MarK Lewis pointed out that now-a-days it hardly makes sense to waste
> compute cycles to archive outbound packets due to the connectivity via the
> internet now
> commonly utilised; but still, there are traditional Binkley based mailers
> that require compressed mail bundles with their attendant .?LO files.

That would weird considering the original Binkley mailer (BinkleyTerm) did not
(require compressed mail bundles).

digital man

Synchronet "Real Fact" #83:
Donations to the Synchronet project are welcome @
http://wiki.synchro.net/donate

--- SBBSecho 3.06-Linux
* Origin: Vertrauen - [vert/cvs/bbs].synchro.net (1:103/705)

From: Marc Lewis (1:396/45)
To: n/a
Date: Wed, 31.10.18 13:54
Re: No compression to one node
Hello Fred.

FR> This works for me...

FR> ----- Route.Cfg begins -----
FR> Send Crash NoArc 2:302/0 ; Bjorn doesn't like compressed mail
FR> bundles ----- Route.Cfg ends -----

Excellent! I'll give that a try! Many thanks.