Fidonet Portal

From: alexander koryagin (2:5020/400)
To: All
Date: Fri, 07.12.12 09:27
hero

processed: spam filter heuristic analysis disabled)

From: "alexander koryagin"

Hi, Ardith Hinton! How are you?
on Friday, 07 of December, I read your message to Roy Witt
about "hero"

[skipped]
RW>> A doctor, lawyer, college professor, maybe even a judge
RW>> in life, but a witness to an accident in the meantime, who
RW>> apparently knew of a disliking between the saved and savior,
RW>> would perhaps have used the word 'noble'...because it was
RW>> a noble thing that he did to help someone with whom he wasn't
RW>> exactly on friendly terms.

AH> My initial response to Alexander's query would have been
AH> "generous"
AH> ... but according to my Gage dictionary "magnanimous" = "noble in soul
AH> or mind" *and* "generous in forgiving". IOW we were both right. A
AH> doctor, lawyer, etc. could indeed be familiar enough with Latin to say
AH> "magnanimous" if he felt that was the word which best explained his
AH> interpretation of what was going on. Smile

Yeah, it seems to me that it was intellectual. Has many feelings, but little
courage. ;-)

[...Live and let live]
Bye Ardith!
Alexander (yAlexKo[]yandex.ru) + 2:5020/2140.91
fido7.english-tutor 2012

--- ifmail v.2.15dev5.4
* Origin: Demos online service (2:5020/400)