Fidonet Portal

From: alexander koryagin (2:5020/400)
To: All
Date: Mon, 03.12.12 11:50
one more

processed: spam filter heuristic analysis disabled)

From: "alexander koryagin"

F2EP
Hi, Paul Quinn! How are you?
on Monday, 03 of December, I read your message to Alexander Koryagin
about "one more"

ak>> Hi, Paul Quinn! How are you?

PQ> My usual response is, "Excellent! And getting better"! Smile And then
PQ> to add, "Thank you, kindly, for asking. How are you"?

You were asked by my polite robot. ;)

PQ> It's quite a mouthful but it usually gets the enquirer's attention, and
PQ> makes them do a double-take, and, to re-think what it was that they
PQ> said to invoke such a response from me.

Take in easier. ;)

[skipped]
ak>> It's my old problem - when I concentrate on the sense I forget
ak>> about grammar. ;-) In general, I know that present continuous tense
ak>> demands "be." The way out is only one - to translate more and more.

PQ> Tense smense... you're over-thinking the problem. I hinted at it. It
PQ> was the word "is".

When I wrote "demand 'be'", I put it in general.

PQ> The human brain is good at error detection & correction such that we
PQ> tend to mentally insert the missing bits and carry on, and think
PQ> nothing is out of the ordinary. I did it. You did it. And most
PQ> everyone else reading it also did it.

Another reason to make such an error is the fact that it sounds close.

"A bus' going along" sounds equally with "A bus going along."

But for not making such errors I need read of "Tense smense" and make exercises
;)

[...Don't believe in girl's tears - crocodiles cry either]
Bye Paul!
Alexander (yAlexKo[]yandex.ru) + 2:5020/2140.91
fido7.english-tutor 2012

--- ifmail v.2.15dev5.4
* Origin: Demos online service (2:5020/400)