Fidonet Portal

From: alexander koryagin (2:5020/400)
To: All
Date: Tue, 27.11.12 11:51
one more anecdote

processed: spam filter heuristic analysis disabled)

From: "alexander koryagin"

F2EP
Hi, Roy Witt! How are you?
on Tuesday, 27 of November, I read your message to alexander koryagin
about "one more anecdote"

[skipped]
ak>> A postman (amazed):

RW> The postman, in utter amazement proclaims:

Do you thing that my variant too short for understanding?

ak>> "Oh, dear me!
RW> and asks,
ak>> Is your mother at home?"
ak>> The boy (with his eyes goggled, tittering): Try to guess, man!

RW> chuckling ------------------------------^ and I'd say something to the
RW> effect of 'chuckling to himself'...

RW> You don't want your reader consulting their dictionaries to learn
RW> the definition of a strange word when a simpler, everyday word will
RW> keep the reader's interest in your story and work just as well.

OK, however, you can find "tittering" in well-known books. For
instance, in Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer."
=========Beginning of the citation==============
The tittering rose higher and higher -- the cat was within six inches
of the absorbed teacher's head -- down, down, a little lower, and she
grabbed his wig with her desperate claws, clung to it, and was snatched
up into the garret in an instant with her trophy still in her
possession!
=========The end of the citation================

I believe that, maybe, "tittering" expresses "chuckling" but in more
nasty and derisive way. Children are very nasty sometimes. I think that
Homer Simpson begins choking his son Bart when he tittering at him, not
just chuckling.

[...Drink you printer away, save a tree!]
Bye Roy!
Alexander (yAlexKo[]yandex.ru) + 2:5020/2140.91
fido7.english-tutor 2012

--- ifmail v.2.15dev5.4
* Origin: Demos online service (2:5020/400)