Fidonet Portal

From: Michiel van der Vlist (2:280/5555)
To: All
Date: Wed, 13.06.07 01:19
Freezing
Hello DAVID!

DW> Did your beer freeze? It seems unlikely, after only 30 minutes in a
DW> freezer. If the beer and liquor both remained liquid, then freezing
DW> points are irrelevant.

DW> The thermal conductivity of glass is far lower than that of aluminum,
DW> or steel - whatever the cans were made of. Also, the glass wall of a
DW> bottle is far thicker than the metal wall of a can.

The alternatiove explanation might be that the metal beer can *feels* colder to
the hand than the glass jar, just because of the thermal conductivity issues.
The hand will heat up the surface of the glass. The beer can OTOH is much more
difficult to heat up by the hand because it conducts well and there is a
relatively large heat sink (the beer) behind it. So it *feels* colder.

The proper way to do the experiment is measure the temperature of the beer and
the liquor with a thermometer.

DW> I guess you could try putting some liquor into a beer can, and also
DW> into one of the regular 80 ml jars, and see which sample cools faster.
DW> I am sure the one in the can will do so. In this experiment, only the
DW> container is different.

Yep, that is good science, just change one thing at the time.

Cheers, Michiel

--- GoldED+/W32-MSVC 1.1.5-b20060315
* Origin: http://www.vlist.eu (2:280/5555)