Fidonet Portal

From: Andrew Leary (1:320/119)
To: All
Date: Mon, 19.11.12 01:36
MakeNL 3.3.0 Release
Hello All!

MakeNL 3.3.0 has been released and hatched into the COORDUTL fileecho.
Filenames are as follows:

MN330D16.ZIP MakeNL v3.3.0 for DOS 16-bit
MN330D32.ZIP MakeNL v3.3.0 for DOS 32-bit (requires DOS4GW)
MN330O16.ZIP MakeNL v3.3.0 for OS/2 16-bit
MN330O32.ZIP MakeNL v3.3.0 for OS/2 32-bit
MN330W32.ZIP MakeNL v3.3.0 for Win32
MN330LNX.ZIP MakeNL v3.3.0 for Linux
MN330SRC.ZIP MakeNL v3.3.0 Source Code

These files are available for FREQ from 1:320/119, and will be posted for
download on SourceForge shortly.

Any bug reports can be posted here, sent to me via netmail, or posted in the
bugtracker on SourceForge.

Enjoy!

Andrew

---
* Origin: Bits & Bytes BBS * V.Everything! * 860/535-4284 (1:320/119)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464.112)
To: All
Date: Tue, 20.11.12 11:22
Re: MakeNL 3.3.0 Release
Hi Kees,

On 19 Nov 12 23:01, Kees van Eeten wrote to Andrew Leary:
about: "MakeNL 3.3.0 Release":

AL>> MakeNL 3.3.0 has been released and hatched into the COORDUTL
AL>> fileecho. Filenames are as follows:

AL>> MN330LNX.ZIP MakeNL v3.3.0 for Linux

KvE> 32 od 64 bits?

# file makenl
makenl: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.6.18, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

So it's 32 bit, but that probably isn't too important. The 'dynamically linked'
is though, because that means it only runs on systems that have the correct set
of libraries installed.

For instance on a bit older linux system:

# uname -r
2.6.18.8-0.13-default

I get:

# ./makenl
./makenl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./makenl)

Wilfred.

--- FMail-W32-1.64-B20111120
* Origin: point@work (2:280/464.112)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464.112)
To: All
Date: Thu, 22.11.12 14:13
Re: MakeNL 3.3.0 Release
Hi Andrew,

On 21 Nov 12 08:43, Andrew Leary wrote to Wilfred van Velzen:
about: "MakeNL 3.3.0 Release":

WvV>> So it's 32 bit, but that probably isn't too important. The
WvV>> 'dynamically linked' is though, because that means it only runs on
WvV>> systems that have the correct set of libraries installed.

AL> Right. I personally recommend that Linux users get the source code
AL> archive and compile MakeNL on the system where it will be used.

That's what I do...

AL> On the system I built the release version on, the statically linked
AL> version is over 700KB, whereas the dynamically linked version is
AL> 64.7KB.

It's not very usefull to distibute the dynamically linked version. So either
distribute the statically linked one (It will probably compress to something
smaller), or don't distribute a linux executable at all... IMHO.

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464)
To: All
Date: Sat, 24.11.12 14:46
Re: MakeNL 3.3.0 Release
Hi,

On 23 Nov 12 09:47, Andrew Leary wrote to Wilfred van Velzen:
about: "MakeNL 3.3.0 Release":

WvV>> It's not very usefull to distibute the dynamically linked version.
WvV>> So
WvV>> either distribute the statically linked one (It will probably
WvV>> compress to something smaller), or don't distribute a linux
WvV>> executable at all... IMHO.

AL> I have hatched a replacement archive with the statically-linked version.

Thanks! I'll test it...

Bye, Wilfred.

--- FMail-W32-1.64-B20111120
* Origin: Amiga Offline BBS Lisse (2:280/464)

From: Wilfred van Velzen (2:280/464.112)
To: All
Date: Mon, 26.11.12 09:42
Re: MakeNL 3.3.0 Release
Hi Andrew,

about: "Re: MakeNL 3.3.0 Release":

It's not on http://sourceforge.net ?

From: Benny Pedersen (2:230/0)
To: All
Date: Sat, 05.01.13 01:20
Re: MakeNL 3.3.0 Release
Hello Wilfred!

20 Nov 2012 10:22, Wilfred van Velzen wrote to Kees van Eeten:

WvV> # ./makenl
WvV> ./makenl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by
WvV> ./makenl)

thats why i never use precompiled software

have seen makefiles with hardcoded arch, so gcc is only supporting one arch ?
Smile

makenl is ok on this imho, but i think on one thing that should be changed is
CC=gcc should really be CC=cc in the make file, else auto arch will not work

Regards Benny

... there can only be one way of life, and it works Smile

--- Msged/LNX 6.2.0 (Linux/3.5.7-gentoo (i686)Wink
* Origin: duggi.junc.org where qico is waiting (2:230/0)