Fidonet Portal

From: Al (1:153/757.2)
To: All
Date: Sun, 04.10.20 17:31
60 Minutes
> Any regular viewers of the CBS "60 Minutes"?

At one time but I haven't seen it in ages.

> For many years, it has not been readily available to me (still
> using OTA antenna!Wink, but the local OTA station for Channel 2
> (Global TV) is offering it since a few weeks ago.

The only 60 Minutes I have seen recently was produced in Australia, I watched
on youtube.

> All new correspondents now. Mike Wallace was the last time I
> remember watching 60 Minutes. That would be 8 years go, I
> guess.

Mike Wallace was good, and there were others also I forget now.

> I did not immediately realize that Chris Wallace (who
> moderated the recent Presidential Debate) is the son of Mike
> Wallace who was a correspondent on 60 Minutes.

Chris Wallace in one of the few on Fox who cares about facts and truth.

--- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Toy-4

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Mon, 05.10.20 10:31
Re: 60 Minutes
August,

AA> Any regular viewers of the CBS "60 Minutes"?

I was years ago. My favorite portion were the segments near the end
of the broadcast with Andy Rooney. <G>

AA> I did not immediately realize that Chris Wallace (who
AA> moderated the recent Presidential Debate) is the son of Mike
AA> Wallace who was a correspondent on 60 Minutes.

He was one of their long time reporters.

Daryl

... "If you don't have a sense of humor, you're better off dead". -R. Rabbit
=== MultiMail/Win v0.52
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Win32
* Origin: The Thunderbolt BBS - tbolt.synchro.net (1:19/33)

From: Kurt Weiske (1:218/700)
To: All
Date: Sun, 11.10.20 10:15
Re: 60 Minutes
-=> Richard Miles wrote to August Abolins <=-

RM> Until you posted this the other day I wasn't aware of it either.
RM> Haven't had any sort of live TV in several years, it's been a long time
RM> since I've watched 60 Minutes.

It's been so long since I've watched 60 minutes that I thought Chris
was Mike with some serious work done.

... Emphasize the flaws
--- MultiMail/XT v0.52
* Origin: http://realitycheckbbs.org | tomorrow's retro tech (1:218/700)

From: Doug Cooper (1:227/702)
To: All
Date: Tue, 13.10.20 03:25
Re: 60 Minutes
AA> I am rather enjoying the 60 Minutes reporting. The opening
AA> click-click-click of an analog watch is still amusing. When the
AA> correspondents introduce themselves in turn: "I'm <insert name 1 here>,
AA> and "I'm <insert name 2 here>, and "I'm <insert name 3 here>" is pretty
AA> funny. It reminds me of a SNL skit where they say "I'm <insert name>,
AA> and you're not!" I'm always waiting for the folks on the real 60 Minutes
AA> to say that!

You know, I hadn't watched it in years. I had been fiddling with an
ANSI graphic I'm making someone, and didn't realize whatever show I had
been watching was over, and 60 Minutes came on. Kinda caught my
attention as I hadn't seen it in years. I was rather suprised by the
quality of the reporting and depth they went into. It was some crazy
concept of curing sickle cell anemia by combining HIV DNA (minus
whatever makes it bad for you) and something else .. and injecting it
into the blood stream. Tests so far show it completely cured sickle
cell, within tests under a microscope that is. I didn't see the end,
was pulled away by the kids. But it was very interesting.

-doug

* Origin: The Underground ~ www.theunderground.us:10023 (1:227/702)

From: Richard Miles (2:460/58)
To: All
Date: Tue, 13.10.20 13:24
Re: 60 Minutes
DC> AA> I am rather enjoying the 60 Minutes reporting. The opening
DC> AA> click-click-click of an analog watch is still amusing. When the
DC> AA> correspondents introduce themselves in turn: "I'm <insert name 1
here>,
DC> AA> and "I'm <insert name 2 here>, and "I'm <insert name 3 here>" is
pretty
DC> AA> funny. It reminds me of a SNL skit where they say "I'm <insert name>,
DC> AA> and you're not!" I'm always waiting for the folks on the real 60
Minutes
DC> AA> to say that!
DC>
DC> You know, I hadn't watched it in years. I had been fiddling with an
DC> ANSI graphic I'm making someone, and didn't realize whatever show I had
DC> been watching was over, and 60 Minutes came on. Kinda caught my
DC> attention as I hadn't seen it in years. I was rather suprised by the
DC> quality of the reporting and depth they went into. It was some crazy
DC> concept of curing sickle cell anemia by combining HIV DNA (minus
DC> whatever makes it bad for you) and something else .. and injecting it
DC> into the blood stream. Tests so far show it completely cured sickle
DC> cell, within tests under a microscope that is. I didn't see the end,
DC> was pulled away by the kids. But it was very interesting.
DC>
DC> -doug
That's one of the things I remember, the depth of the reporting. Used to watch
it with my parents back in the early eighties and they seemed to work really
hard at going all in on a story.

When I mentioned it had been a few years since I had seen it I guess I meant a
few decades. <G>

--- tg2fido gate v0.6.1
* Origin: Telegram to fido gate by Stas Mishchenkov (2:460/58)

From: Doug Cooper (1:227/702)
To: All
Date: Tue, 13.10.20 11:29
Re: 60 Minutes
RM> That's one of the things I remember, the depth of the reporting. Used to
RM> watch it with my parents back in the early eighties and they seemed to
RM> work really hard at going all in on a story.
RM> When I mentioned it had been a few years since I had seen it I guess I
RM> meant a few decades. <G>

haha! Yeah, probably that many for me also. Since the inception of 24
hour news media, and social media, I had long forgotten about nightly
news.

Laura Logan on Fox Nation, which I think runs on Sundays, also does a
great job going all in on a story and in a non partisan way. Dare I
have brought up Fox news, but she does have good documentaries.

-tG

* Origin: The Underground ~ www.theunderground.us:10023 (1:227/702)

From: Mike Powell (1:2320/105)
To: All
Date: Tue, 13.10.20 17:46
Re: 60 Minutes
>That's one of the things I remember, the depth of the reporting. Used to watch
>t with my parents back in the early eighties and they seemed to work really
har
> at going all in on a story.

They really started lowering the bar about 20 years ago. I have not
watched it since then.

* SLMR 2.1a * This tagline is umop apisdn
--- SBBSecho 3.11-Linux
* Origin: capitolcityonline.net * Telnet/SSH:2022/HTTP (1:2320/105)

From: Daryl Stout (1:19/33)
To: All
Date: Thu, 15.10.20 22:31
Re: 60 Minutes
Mike,

MP> They really started lowering the bar about 20 years ago. I have not
MP> watched it since then.

They didn't want to raise the bar, as it made it too hard to get the
drinks. <G>

Daryl

... I watch what I eat...from the plate to the mouth.